/ What is going on here? #1  

DT86

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota
Rhino SE15-4A flex wing mower.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465610527.082015.jpg

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465610544.659437.jpg

I've been told it is a light duty model, I don't think it is based on weight and overall construction, but I've been wrong that one time before.

Was clipping some grass and the tone of the mower suddenly changed. No pop or bang. Didn't hit anything (today that is).

This is the splitter gear box and driveshaft for the wing.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465609913.259327.jpg

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465609925.763889.jpg

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465609938.170199.jpg

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465609946.690967.jpg

This is what the other side looks like.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465610097.366750.jpg

I'm guessing a snap ring that holds the shaft from the inside has grenaded.

Also the gear oil appears a bit milky, don't think it's related though. (Pic #3)

/ What is going on here? #2  
Looks like you're going to need some new bearings and a couple of locking retainers and a seal. Hopefully that's all you'll need unless the gears are messed up. If the gears are broke you'd be better replacing the gear box for about $550. Even if it's just the gear for the shaft that's off, 2 bearings, 2 ring keepers and oil seal will be kinda expensive not to mention the shaft itself don't look real good. There will be pieces of metal all inside the gearbox.

You can go to DNequipment. com and find a diagram and may be the best place to buy parts? Their website is hard for me to find stuff sometimes but it's there. Sleasebay has a few but $$$.

Unless you had a major reason for this side to turn loose the other side probably not far away from the same scenario.

/ What is going on here? #3  
G'day i reckon your right and the circlip has come off strip the g/box and clean the bearing up find a decent brg shop and fit a new seal and circlip and away you go

Jon

Ps check the driveshaft going down to the back g/box and make sure that it can slide in/out ok it may have bound up slightly putting weight on the circlip

/ What is going on here? #4  
Yup, definitely a circlip or snap ring came off the inside of of the shaft. I'd tear it apart and see what if anything else is messed up Look closely at that grooving/gouging on the shaft between the splines and the shoulder and particularly the mating piece to for damage in this area. Did the clip break or just come off and is sitting in the bottom of the gearbox? Need to flush it out to be sure and that would fix your milky oil problem too.

/ What is going on here?
Got it apart. Flushed the case with diesel and found what was left of the clip. Parts are ordered and should arrive Wednesday.

Everything looks good other than the busted clip.

Thinking real hard I've concluded this was my fault. About 10 minutes before it turned loose I'd been mowing a ditch, from above, that was about 4' deep and very steep sided. I guess the wing over extended and when it got to the end of travel in the drive line it started pulling on the clip. Lesson learned.

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465878524.440550.jpg

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465878538.886037.jpg

ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465878551.255975.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465878566.180067.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTractorByNet1465878566.180067.jpg
    512 KB · Views: 157
   / What is going on here?
Well, crap. Looking at that last pic it would appear the gear is in fact damaged. I didn't even notice that in person while holding it.

This couldn't happen at a worse time.

/ What is going on here? #7  
G'day have another look at that gear it may not be damaged just worn I can't see any other evidence of cracking on the tooth also as I said earlier make sure your shafts can slide in/out nice and easily as there is not a stop there to stop them from actually coming apart.

See it quite often that the tubes don't get greased on the slides and it usually results in pto or gearbox problems

Jon

/ What is going on here? #8  
Unless that's a crack on the tooth just above your thumb (and I don't see it extending down the sides), I don't see what you are seeing. It looks good to me.

/ What is going on here? #9  
Got it apart. Flushed the case with diesel and found what was left of the clip. Parts are ordered and should arrive Wednesday.

Everything looks good other than the busted clip.

Thinking real hard I've concluded this was my fault. About 10 minutes before it turned loose I'd been mowing a ditch, from above, that was about 4' deep and very steep sided. I guess the wing over extended and when it got to the end of travel in the drive line it started pulling on the clip. Lesson learned.

About the drive line pulling on the clip if the drive shaft is sliding in and out as designed that should never happen. Check your drive shaft and make sure its sliding properly. I could see the problem occuring if the shaft got in a bind. ? Glad it didn't break up your gearbox. If the drive shaft ever seizes then major damage can occur.

/ What is going on here?
Unless that's a crack on the tooth just above your thumb (and I don't see it extending down the sides), I don't see what you are seeing. It looks good to me.

That's what I saw and thought the tooth is breaking off. Headed back to the farm now to check it over better. It was a rushed disassembly job, I was tired and wanted to be else where.