Remove a broken but/screw/cap

/ Remove a broken but/screw/cap #1  

RedTailHawk

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430
I opened up the fill hole and added more gear oil to the gear box on my Woods Brushbull. Over tightened when I closed it up and it snapped off leaving part of it threaded in top of gear box. Any tips on getting the broken piece out? Image1465671044.403870.jpg

/ Remove a broken but/screw/cap #2  
   / Remove a broken but/screw/cap #3  
I opened up the fill hole and added more gear oil to the gear box on my Woods Brushbull. Over tightened when I closed it up and it snapped off leaving part of it threaded in top of gear box. Any tips on getting the broken piece out?View attachment 471568
Yep, clean it up real well then lay a nut centered on top of the broken stub. Weld the nut to the stub though the hole in the nut. That will give you something to wrench the plug out with. I would say drill and ez out but you'd risk getting shavings and chips in your case.

/ Remove a broken but/screw/cap #4  
It looks like there is already a through hole there, so the first attempt should be with a spiral easy out. Since it appears that the shoulder caused the break, the threaded-in remains shouldn't be in that tight.
Normally I'd go for the weld on nut option, but it looks like there is a lot of gear oil on everything; cleaning that up to get an acceptable weld would take a lot of effort, plus the fire factor.

/ Remove a broken but/screw/cap #5  
I opened up the fill hole and added more gear oil to the gear box on my Woods Brushbull. Over tightened when I closed it up and it snapped off leaving part of it threaded in top of gear box. Any tips on getting the broken piece out?View attachment 471568

The plug has a flange on it that may be the seal surface and threads may not be tapered. Use a center punch and punch it between the center hole and the outside diameter being carefull not to slip and damage the internal threads, turning it counter clockwise. It may just spin out not needing the easy out

/ Remove a broken but/screw/cap #6  
The broken part looks like it's brass. It shouldn't be too hard to get out. A small chisel or a punch like was already mentioned. Reverse twist drill bits work really well in situations like this too.

/ Remove a broken but/screw/cap #7  
If no mig welder to do what post#3 said, easy out and drill with with reverse drill bit.

/ Remove a broken but/screw/cap #8  
I'd keep it simple to start with... use a pair of long-nose pliers (needle-nose?). Down through the hole, open up and then twist. raise it to the point that you can get a vicegrip onto it to finish the job.

/ Remove a broken but/screw/cap #9  
Cork it and keep it in there.

/ Remove a broken but/screw/cap #10  
I have also heard of lightly hammering in a large triangle file into the hole in the broken fitting and then putting a wrench on the file and getting it out. The other time I had to deal with a 1/2 NPT fitting broken off in a valve block I was able to get a internal pipe wrench in and get it out.