Selecting a new Tractor battery

/ Selecting a new Tractor battery #1  

goatdoc

Tractor
TC 33 D, Mitsubishi 2650
Do the more learned readers believe there is any difference between a tractor battery vs. automotive? Besides size and CCA, is price the main difference? I am replacing the old battery on the greymarket mitsubishi 2650 and its battery compartment is large enough to accept almost any size automotive battery. (The old battery appears the same size and post diameter as the TC33D, but has no placard or model number). The HN dealer does not have replacements for the TC33D anyway....

/ Selecting a new Tractor battery #2  
As long as you can get the same number of CCA's and it can fit, it shouldn't matter what "type" of battery it is.

After learning that to get a new battery from Kubota for my M8950 would cost $460, yes, that's right, $460, I was able to find one that fits at Sam's Club for $89.

/ Selecting a new Tractor battery #3  
Ohe thing, If the battery mounts in front of the radiator, either get the Optime type or the vented thru a tube type. This is to prevent acid fumes from eating up your radiator.

/ Selecting a new Tractor battery #4  
I would get the biggest battery that will fit in the compartment, and highly recommend a sealed battery. You can't have too many CCA's

/ Selecting a new Tractor battery #5  
My history with tractor batteries is not good so I have been going to my nearest Sam's Club and buying the largest battery that will fit. Typically when I need a new battery I will get 30-40% back on the warranty which makes the battery "rental" reasonable. I have long felt that we were only renting our auto or tractor batteries anyway.

/ Selecting a new Tractor battery #6  
There may be a difference in batteries. The tractor may require one which can withstand more vibration. At least this used to be the case.

The battery technology seems to be changing over the last few years And has left me far in the dust.

Think one of the circular wrapped gel filled may be the new and comming thing.

Egon

/ Selecting a new Tractor battery #7  
As near as I can tell a battery for a tractor has little or no warranty but costs a lot more. In the past, I go for fit (including position of posts), capacity (the bigger the better), and no maintenance and tell them its for a car to get a 5 year warranty.

Although I wouldn't say that I use a tractor or my old Case 580C as much as a professional, but I've never encountered a problem using a car battery in a tractor, and never had to replace one, so tractor batteries may be better constructed (in which case why no warranty?) by it doesn't seem to matter much.

/ Selecting a new Tractor battery #8  
need one vibration proofed. napa's top of the line one or tsc also sells tractor battarys or any farmer coop

/ Selecting a new Tractor battery #9  
Replaced the factory installed battery last autumn with an Optimum due to early signs of leakage. So far, real happy. The Opt. battery is designed to take the vibrations and no venting worries. Remy had the 50 size for ~$85 vs MSRP of~$135.

/ Selecting a new Tractor battery #10  
I have always had good luck w/ John Deere batteries. My dealer always tests them and tops off the charge before I take it away. Just put a nice one in my Cub for about $60.