Anouther problem with hitch pin

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #31  
They work great. Takes about 30 seconds to pull em off.. which is slower than pulling a lynch pin.. or way faster than a coter pin.. but can be done by hand. Most of the pins on my NH that I don't remove regularly are the split ring key chain and hole'd pin design.

good luck.. hope it helps.

Soundguy

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #32  
actually they can be removed, Had one on the tail wheel get ripped off last year. The ring just pulled right open when it got hooked on a low hanging limb.

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #33  
Forget the flip-over (round) pins you are using. They do not hold up in this application. You are using the cheap 10-29 cent versions. The more expensive 79-100 cent versions, typically black, have a much stronger snap action & might work better. Still don't like them.

Use the hairpin style. If you get a normal one, kick it on _all_ the way, not just the first notch where it normally should stop. But these still aren't the best.

There are hairpin style that have a twist lock on them. You have to spread it open, put it on the pin, and then twist it & the free end of the hairpin clicks over the straight end. These stay on. I'm in the middle of corn planting, but I can click a pic one of these days if you remind me.

In any event, I have only lost about 2 hitch pins in my 35 years of active farming, and rarely use a locking clip of any kind. Manure spreaders do like to get heavy in the back as they get near empty & pick up the hitch, then as you drive it chatters up & down on bumpy fields & works the pin out.

I replace those &%%^^ locking ring clips (linch pins?) with really strong cotter keys on my tractors' 3pt arms. Cornstalks always knock those silly rings off. Worthless.

--->Paul

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #34  
I'm not talking about the fold over kind.. but a seperate pin with holes.. and a keychain style split ring... And I've never had one come loose.. Have bent one on a limb I ran over.. but it broke the limb!

Soundguy

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #35  
I know you know but speed doesnt help either it will make the spreader bounce much more some just dont seem to have enough tonge weight.

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #36  
go to a fishing supply store and the make spilt ring plyers for this type f ring. Makes it easy as pie. No more broken finger nails. Woo hoo /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #37  
Those clinch pins do come losse and fall off. Try a bolt with a self locking nut or I have used a heavy piece if wire looped at both ends. Wire has a little give to it and virbaration doesn't cause it to come loose and fall out.

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #38  
The cheap bail type pins will fail again. The hairpin type are best bet if sized correctly and pushed on all the way to the "eye". If they hit anything, they just swivel in the hole and swing back vertical, -provided the eye clears end of hitch pin. Limbs etc can't get a "bite" to pull them off. A good one takes pliers to remove.

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #39  
Correct the one I pulled off was the keyring version see picturekeyring example . I didn't say they were easily removed, But I didn't hear or feel any drag when it was ripped off /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif