Anouther problem with hitch pin

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #1  

40Kchicks

Gold Member
Tractor
2003 Kubota M9000DTL 2001 JD 2252 Orchard Tractor Cat 216 Skidsteer 1999 JD 450H Dozer 1994 JD 644G wheel loader
A couple of weeks ago I posted about how the hitch pin came off my manure spreader causing the PTO yoke to be damaged. This is the old post: $310 to fix a $3.60 problem That cost me $310 for a new yoke. So I bought a good hitch pin with a cinch pin to keep it in place.

The rains have returned so this week I was finishing up my manure spreading. While going down hill the hitch pin keeper broke and the hitch fell out. Since I was going down hill the spreader rammed into the tractor. It broke the u-joints in the yoke and badly damaged the yoke ends. So after spending 310 for a new yoke I had to have it rebuilt at a cost of $140. Then when I put the rebuilt yoke on I found that the shaft on the spreader that connects to the PTO yoke was bent. I will have to fix that next week.

Have you guys ever had problems with hitch pins coming off? Have you found a solution? What am I doing wrong?

Eric

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #2  
The only time I've lost hitch pins was when working in brush in the woods, and once when ploughing a garden. I guess some limb got ahold of my ROPS pin on one side and lifted the retainer enough to come out. The other was my lower lift arm pin (at the tractor, not implement) must have caught somehow on the mud I got up to the bottom of the tractor and caused it to come out. I can't imagine why you're losing the pin unless something is contacting it that you can't see. Sorry to hear about it nevertheless. John

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #3  
I use about every piece of farm machinery there is and I have never had a hitch pin come loose. Any way to post a picture of the hitch pin you are using? I just can't believe that the keeper would break. I'm not saying it didn't just that I don't see how it could.

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #4  
I agree with Cowboydoc; never had one come unhitched and need to see a picture of what you're using.

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin #5  
Hi
sorry to hear about the luck with the hitch pins.
with all the bad luck you're having you must have broken a mirror. I understand if you break a mirror you will have 7 years of bad luck.

Charlie

/ Anouther problem with hitch pin
So I did kind of assume that the pin broke off. It was connected to the hitch pin with a chain, which did break. It is possible that it came off while driving around the manure pile. I was at work when I posted. I know better that to post without pictures but what could I do.

Anyways the attachment is the hitch pins I used. Left to right in order. The last two had ¼ inch cinch pins connected to them as keeper pins.

Attachments

• 410328-hitchsmall.jpg
    410328-hitchsmall.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 513
This is a picture of the pin in the hitch.
Eric

Attachments

• 410332-hitch2small.jpg
    410332-hitch2small.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 485
This is a picture of the shaft that was bent when the spreader rammed into the tractor. I need to fix it yet. It wobbles.
Eric

Attachments

• 410336-yokesmall.jpg
    410336-yokesmall.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 411
   / Anouther problem with hitch pin #9  
Were you in a corn field where the corn stalks could have ripped the cinch pin clip loose? I have had trouble with losing them when in the woods, and have replaced most with short bolts and lock nuts.

There are hitch pins that have bails and things on them, and found at farmers' stores. Not good to have a pin come out and they can work themselves up when the tongue begins to bounce. We used to tie them with bailing wire, (like the coat hanger that was mentioned) but sometimes they can be ripped off too. Goes with the territory - if you are active and working, things will happen. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

This is a little bigger picture my old manure spreader.

Eric

Attachments

• 410344-spreadersmall.jpg
    410344-spreadersmall.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 404