Deserve to be dressed down by TBNers

/ Deserve to be dressed down by TBNers #1  

DaveNay

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 855 MFWD; Oliver 1850 Gas
/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Finally did some maintenance on my tractor. I haven't done anything with the fluids at all since I bought the tractor a year ago. I have put about 80 hours on it in that time. The engine oil was thick and black, and the hydo oil looked like chocolate milk. Drained both oils and changed the filters and cleaned the hydro pickup screen. When I cleaned the air filter element, I was covered in dust. I wanted to replace the element, but I bought the wrong filter so I need to do that later this week. The fuel filter was a dark grey color too, the new one is a light tan.

Am I the only one that feels a great sense of satasfaction and relief from doing maintenace? I feel like I have finally confessed to a great crime, but everything is all better now. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

One question....does anyone know what the second filler cap in the engine is that is labelled "oil"? This one is down on the right side of the engine, and when I peek inside it has a large gear in there. Just another engine oil fill, or is it something different? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dave

/ Deserve to be dressed down by TBNers #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

Am I the only one that feels a great sense of satasfaction and relief from doing maintenace? )</font>

Nope. I feel like a million bucks when I complete my scheduled maintenance! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Deserve to be dressed down by TBNers #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Am I the only one that feels a great sense of satasfaction and relief from doing maintenace? )</font> I don't think so Dave. I enjoy it so much that I do mine on time, and sometimes a little ahead. "They" say: 50 hours for greasing, I do it in 25. For the loader, "They" say: Every 10 hours of use, I do it evey 4. Not only satisfaction in the maintenance, but knowing the tractor is going to be around longer because I do it well. John

/ Deserve to be dressed down by TBNers #4  
Keeping your investment clean and well lubricated is very satisfying. I also tend to do my maintenance a little ahead of schedule because I don't put too many hours on it, it just sits there between uses. I generally give all the lube spots a shot every 8 hours of operation or sooner. And I wash it a few times a year.

/ Deserve to be dressed down by TBNers #5  
"One question....does anyone know what the second filler cap in the engine is that is labelled "oil"? This one is down on the right side of the engine, and when I peek inside it has a large gear in there. Just another engine oil fill, or is it something different? "

I don't know what it is for either, but my 670's engine has it too.
I reckon Yanmar sells these industrial engines for a variety of uses. Other applications (marine, for example) may require installations the prevent use of the upper oil fill opening.

Just a guess...

/ Deserve to be dressed down by TBNers #6  
GeraldC did you try that maintenance software yet that I told you about?

/ Deserve to be dressed down by TBNers #7  
/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif No, not yet.

How do you like it? Is it complicated?

/ Deserve to be dressed down by TBNers #8  
I think its pretty straightforward. I am printing maintenance requests for my TC-40D. Now I'll have no reason to forget the things that need to be done the most.