Machine shop part

/ Machine shop part #1  

armyof1

Bronze Member
Tractor
GC1720
Has any one ever got a part made at a machine shop like gears, axle and etc. Just trying to find out if something breaks on the old grey what the cost would be to make the part. High I bet, but can't see a tractor setting to long looking for a part that could be made. but if it cost more than the tractor worth than maybe. any input thanks Sam /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Machine shop part #2  
If it's any kind of gear, it'll be costly.
An axle may not be too bad since it's basically a turning operation.

However, any kind of one-off item still requires set up charges.
I'd figure $30 to $45 per hour on the average at a "Ma and Pa" shop.

And that doesn't count any post machining operations like heat treat or stress relieving. Plus, most will want a drawing or sketch to work to. If you've got the original part, they can work to that...it'll cost you though.

/ Machine shop part #3  
It's really nice to have your own machine tools like I do. However, you can have the tools but if you lack the knowledge to use them you are better off having parts made.

I like to amaze my farmer friends by custom machining. They pay me too. It always amazes me how it breaks in the field and I get a late call and they need it "right away". No problem. For me, it is fun.

/ Machine shop part #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If it's any kind of gear, it'll be costly.)</font>

Cutting a part such as a metric helical bevel gear
isn't going to be cheap. But at least it is [likely] to be of
standardized geometry w/r/t pitch, pressure angle, etc..

I'd worry more about needing to fabricate unique components
of the HST. Such as precision ground pump/motor pistons or
housing.

/ Machine shop part
Yes I not sure of the whole idel of owning a grey tractor all together but with tractorbynet we can all share information to help one another and learn for are mistakes like some USA parts for other tractor will work but finding them is the hard part. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Machine shop part #6  
Umhgawa:

Keep a mental note:

If you are ever in need of any helical, involute or any specialty gearing, consult a gear hobber like Boston Gear. They stock literally thousands of specialty sizes or toothed blanks. With a toothed blank, hub machining would be necessary but much less costly than the actual tooth generation.

I get all my ball, roller and spherical and specialty bearings from Detroit Ball Bearing. They are a stocking SKF distributor. SKF has bearings for about every application from nuclear to farm tractors.

/ Machine shop part #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you are ever in need of any helical, involute or any specialty gearing, consult a gear hobber like Boston Gear. They stock literally thousands of specialty sizes or toothed blanks. With a toothed blank, hub machining would be necessary but much less costly than the actual tooth generation.)</font>

I try to find something off the shelf if faced with fabricating anything
more complex than a spur gear. Then again issues such as case hardening
the teeth with minimal distortion even here can make this more work than
it is worth. Though I sure would like to find a functional gear hobber to
add to the tool collection.

My real concern was finding an oddball pressure angle or diametral
pitch where the manufacturer decided to "innovate".

/ Machine shop part #8  
Many years ago I would not be found with out the little Boston Gear Ref book! As a matter of fact, I still have it ... do you know if they have continued with it or not? And like you say, they had every gear I ever needed then!
Leo

/ Machine shop part #9  
Daryl

I admire you're drive. I guess I've gotten too old. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Even thought I have a shop that has produced all kind of parts including jet engine parts for P & W, I would probably never just pick up a chunk of steel and make myself a gear. That's why I only buy machines with spare parts availability. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That said I actually do make some parts in my fab shop, but usually for a prototype.

Andy

/ Machine shop part #10  
em14:

Boston Gear www.bostongear.com has all their nomenclature in pdf form now. Detroit Ball has been acquired by Applied Technologies though you can access their website at: www.detroitball.com I usually refer to the SKF catalog which I keep in the shop. Applied also stocks Vickers Drives.