Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

Default Straightening out an OOPS !

Well I finally managed to bend something ! It's one of the end plates on my rear blade . I was watching the left side of the blade and managed to hook the right end plate on a stump . It's bent at 45 to 60 degrees .
    It's made of 3/16 " steel , so I don't have a clue as to how to go about fixing it [img]/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Any ideas , or is it time to buy a new one ?? Thanks , John

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

Default Re: Straightening out an OOPS !

Cerberus:

Must have been pulling hard? You need to find a gas axe with a rosebud. Heat it in the bend until cherry red and use a sledge to straighten it out. It will never be perfect, but it will remind you of your inattention. Note: Let it cool naturally, resist the temptation to quench it with water. The rapid cooling of the metal will cause it to have internal weakness.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

Daryl. Actually I wasn't pulling all that hard . (at least I thought so until I saw the end plate [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) Low range , under 2k revs 4wd engaged . But i was was watching a rock on the left ,and trying to turn around it . I caught the stump with the front of the right end plate .
    As I don't own any of the things you suggested , Looks loke I'll buy a new item ,and chalk it to experience . John

Tractor
    Kubota M9000 Hyd Kubota M105 shuttle

John:

I think Bill has a set of torches. If not, your local muffler shop can do the job pretty cheap.

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

You can do quite a bit of straightening, using chains and a hydralic jack, but it take a big jack.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

Daryl , I'll give a muffler or machine shop a try . As an original thought I might even ask the dealer for some ideas [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I'm only a couple of hrs from the 50 hr service any way .
    As I'm adding some more remotes and TNT at the same time he may go easy on me [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    I'd ask Bill , But he might want to drill holes in the plate [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    Thanks for the suggestion. John

Tractor
    MF 1440-4 PowerShuttle

If it unbolts like most of the end plates, take it to your dealer and have them straighten it in their press.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    7275 Cub Cadet

You could probaly straighten it out by putting it under your tractor. Take a hydraulic jack and try to lift your tractor with the blade under the jack. You can use boards to lift the corner so that you can bend it beyond center. It will flex back some when you release the jack.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    L3130 hst

Jerry G,and Jim R
    I'll try using the tractor first , then if it fails , I'll see what the dealer can do . If push comes to shove , I'm out a few bucks for a new plate . Thanks , John
    PS the price of scrap steel is getting high , so I may have something of value [img]/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Along the lines of what 5030 said, call your local high school and see if they have a welding class. One of the students could do that for you in a heart beat, and you have nothing to lose. I doubt they'd charge you anything, as they will usually do projects for free, you provide the materials. All you need is a straightening. John

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast