Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire

/ Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire #11  
I would have thought that spike would be much harder to bend. I have one of those posts for an electric fence with my rain gauge mounted on it, so I can stick it in the ground wherever I want and can easily move it when I'm mowing.:)

You can buy them at Home Depot or Lowe's.

/ Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire #12  
A plug should have no issues holding. Just plugged a similar sized hole in a 11.2x24 rear tire of the old L3400 a few weeks before I got my MX5100. Picked up a piece of scrap metal from the load of recycled concrete I got to extend the driveway around the shop. Never again will I used recycle concrete to only save $2/ton. Picked up tons of metal out of it.

/ Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire #13  
Hate flat tires. Just spent $640 having a rear put on my BH last Thursday. Waiting on the tire guy to show up with ANOTHER tube now. I think he pinched and tore the tube on install.

/ Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire #14  
A plug should have no issues holding. Just plugged a similar sized hole in a 11.2x24 rear tire of the old L3400 a few weeks before I got my MX5100. Picked up a piece of scrap metal from the load of recycled concrete I got to extend the driveway around the shop. Never again will I used recycle concrete to only save $2/ton. Picked up tons of metal out of it.
Sounds like the recycler didn't run the crusher run past a strong magnet. We crushed tons of concrete on one job I was on and all the metal was collected via a super magnet with a conveyor belt running under it. The magnet would suck up the steel out of the crushed concrete and the conveyor belt would sling it to a dumpster on the side, very good method of recovery.

As for the original post, I just plugged the rear tire on my Kubota B26 using a plug repair kit. I don't know what I ran over but the hole was small until I reamed it out with the repair kit reamer. By following the directions on the kit, it took me all of 2 minutes to install and then cut off the tail. The repair worked great and didn't need to take it to a repair shop.
As a side note, my front wheel on my zero turn (6:50x13x6) developed a leak due to a horizontal cut and needed replacing. I found a tire for half price ($12)at a local business that was closing its doors and thought I could replace it myself. Well I got the old tire off without much problem and even got one side of the new tire on but couldn't manage the back side. After 30 minutes of wrestling with it, I finally took it to a professional and it took me assisting him to get the last side of the tire on. Man those little tires are a real **tch to get on, much worse than any larger size that you can use a machine on. The guy charged me $3 which included a new valve stem which was well worth the cost.

/ Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire
I would have thought that spike would be much harder to bend....

I may have disc'ed it a few times before I picked it up. Plus, I rolled over it a time or two and it bent against the inside of the wheel. Then, I bent it a few times to back it out of the tire. I'm paranoid now about how many more might still be out there...

/ Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire #16  
Sounds like the recycler didn't run the crusher run past a strong magnet. We crushed tons of concrete on one job I was on and all the metal was collected via a super magnet with a conveyor belt running under it. The magnet would suck up the steel out of the crushed concrete and the conveyor belt would sling it to a dumpster on the side, very good method of recovery.

Same method at this place.

I think they had issues with the magnet or conveyor or something that let alot past. And they said screw it we aint running that pile through again. Because my neighbor got a load about 3 weeks after mine that I helped spread. We had one of them magnets on wheels made for picking up nails and stuff. Not one single piece in the whole load. Where as my two loads, I could have filled a 5-gallon bucket per load pretty easy. And thats just what I saw.

In either case....$15.50/ton for 304's (1-1/2 minus) limestone vs $13/ton for the 304's concrete.......just not worth the chance to try to save $50 per 20 ton load.

/ Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire #17  
I may have disc'ed it a few times before I picked it up. Plus, I rolled over it a time or two and it bent against the inside of the wheel. Then, I bent it a few times to back it out of the tire. I'm paranoid now about how many more might still be out there...

You could always have all 4 tires foam filled? Which is something I really want to do. Just dont like being without my tractor for ~1-week for them to be sent out.

/ Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire
You could always have all 4 tires foam filled? Which is something I really want to do. Just dont like being without my tractor for ~1-week for them to be sent out.

I've never looked into it. Any downsides?

/ Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire #19  
I've never looked into it. Any downsides?

they weigh alot if you ever need to take them off. And some claim they ride rougher, but there are different durometers of foam they can put in for different rides.

And come time to replace the tire, they need cut off the rim, and if you want the new ones foamed, its the same process. The foam cannot be reclaimed like liquid ballast.

Thats about all I can think of. But the term "foam" is a bit misleading. Its actually like a urethane rubber. Similar to what a solid-tire forklift is made of. They drill holes in the sidewall of the tire and pour the stuff in there. Let it cure, then you basically have a solid rubber tire with tractor tread. But like I said, you can get different durometers of rubber. The guys that do it for a living probably know better than I would as to what you need based on your machine and axle weights.

Oh, and the other downside is cost. When I looked into it for my L3400, which has 7x16 fronts and 11.2x24 rears, I was thinking it was something like $125 ea for the fronts which IIRC is like 90# per tire, and it was something around $300 for each rear, which was ~250-300# in each. So close to $900 to do all 4

/ Field FOD through a front (thank God) tire #20  
Cmon... that's the bottom of a plastic fence post for electric fence... we have dozens, plastic top with steel spike at the bottom. I'm sure that's what got yer Tire.

exactly...