A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it.

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it.
Thanks Pete. I'll have to do a little more research before I buy paint. I only want to do this once and I want to do it right the first time. With all the salt they use around here on the road I want this paint job to last. My main concern is the frame and under carriage. This thing sits so high that the body should stay clean! I'll let you know what I choose and how it works..Von

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #12  
I used some thing similar (dupont version DP something) a long time ago and they said it needed top coated, one step I neglected. needless to say the paint didn't hold up on the frame of my cougar at all. there is actually MORE rust now as I sandblasted the front half and used it on there. though I just reinstalled the front sheet metal and all not recoating and the stuff ended up flaking off and like others said, no to applying dirrectly to the engine too.

It was my own falut but I ran out of time, the Air Force body shop had a 2 week MAX time limit to any project in the shop. in the 2 weeks I did all the following.

I pulled the front end all sheet metal, motor, trans, sand blasted everything under hood & frame, pulled all suspension & rebuilt it, sandblasted first and painted using the dupont version (DP90 I think) Painted the inner fenders using spray can black (down to two days and it was still sandblasted with engine dissassembled.) I had it running by noon on the 14th day with the hood still off. it was the look lol. I put the hood back on and was off to the local FUN place to test the NEW cam and lowered suspension...

anyhow it ran great but after bringing my good shaped 74 cougar back to ohio from the desert it has rusted away link nothing with ony a few winter drives in the salt. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

well anyhow live and learn. that was 13 yrs ago. I still have it though it is SHOT and looks like it was shot using a howatser! rust on thos old cars is nasty stuff.

Mark M /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #13  
Von:

Maybe this link can help you web page.

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #14  
DP90 is Epoxy Primer, it's close to POR-15 but not quite as good in my opinion. I've used the DP90 in many car restorations and prefer this for exterior body panels. I use K-36 over the DP90 then top coat this with a 2 stage urethane system. Single stage is also nice and takes less time. It depends on the type of finish your are after, show car or just really nice. I use the POR-15 for inside the trunk, doors, rockers, etc., and chassis. I've also used the POR-15 on implements like loaders and backhoes and nothing holds up like the POR-15 does.

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it.
Pete, I just ordered the paint from EASTWOOD after reading the test results. I'll let you know how well it works. I got the black chassis paint from them as well. I am going to use the RUST ELIMINATOR on the motor as a base coat. The web site states that it is good to 400F degrees. Most water cooled blocks don't get over 300F. Should start sandblasting this week and start painting by the weekend! (I hope)