A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it.

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #1  

Von

Veteran Member, Advertiser
Tractor
Kubota B2710
Some of you may have seen my post on the Unimog rebuild that I am currently doing. I have the motor out and tomorrow will pull the tranny. Then I can start on removing the axles and get down to the frame. I want to sandblast the frame down Then I am just going to pressure wash and wirebrush the axles. and was thinking of then using the POR-15 on everything. I see that it must be top coated. Do you need to prime it first? or can I just blast some black semi-gloss enamel right over it. Also can you use it on the engine and then cover it with high temp engine paint? Also what is the best color to use that will cover the best. And is spraying better than brushing? Thanks for all replies. Von

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #2  
I have used POR15 and similar products from Bill Hersch Auto. I prefer the products the Hersch sells and from all my friends that do restoration, they also say that his products are superior to anything else on the market. Make sure to use latex gloves, no matter what product that you use, because the stuff doesn't come off your skin very easily. Both products need to be top coated and the Hersch product can be brushed on for great results. Here is the web page. A few years ago, one of the auto magazines did a test and his products came out on top then also. It might be personal opinion, and I have given mine.... others may vary depending on their past experiences. I use what I find that I have had the best luck with and I have been using his products for more than 30 years... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Expensive, but worth the price in the end for the quality.

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #3  
Is your Unimog a civilian model or a surplus military vehicle? The reason I as is becasue if it is a military model it may have CARC (Chemical Agent Resistant Coating) paint on it. If it has CARC paint, you need a respirator, not a face mask, a respirator if you are going to be grinding/sandblasting.

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #4  
There are quite a few myths out there regarding CARC and the hazards that surround it. CARC is chemically similar to DuPont's IMRON paint, it is nothing more than a high quality polyurethane. Once it has cured, it may be sanded with no more protection than a fine-particle dust mask. However, it should not be heated or welded as the fumes are toxic. Further information can be found in Army Technical Bulletin 43-0242.

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it.
Junkman,
Thanks for the link to Hersch's web site! It seems that the Hersch paint is cheaper than the POR15 as well! I'll have to place an order for a few quarts and give it a try. Did you spray it on, or brush it on. I have some spots that I think spraying would be better, and some that I think I can get away with just brushing it on. Do you know if it can be used on engines? Von

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #6  
Myths????????????? OK, Lets take a look at the reference you cited, Army Technical Bulletin 43-0242, Section IV Safety Precautions, Para, 4-3:

"...........You will need a dust respirator when you sand or grind off the old paint. Individuals using respirators must be trained and have the respirators fitted."

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #7  
I have always brushed it on and have had great results. I originally started with the gas tank sealer and found that to work well. Then I tried the paint as well. I am not certain how it works on engines, but I can tell you that he has extensive knowledge of restoration being a Packard collector for as long as I can remember. That is how he started in business, he couldn't find what he needed for the Packards, so he decided to make what he needed himself. Best bet would be to ask when you place the order. I would buy the quarts and use it as necessary rather than gallons that can go bad between uses.... I used foam brushes and tossed them when I was done. Easier than cleaning up bristle brushes. Where I had to use a bristle brush, I used cheap ones that I could toss also. Clean up is the only problem... it doesn't come off easily, so make sure you only get it where you want it...

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #8  
I think he was trying to say that CARC isn't any different than most paints.... read on, section 5:

b. Remove all loose paint and rust by sanding
or with an orbital grinder. When you sand any
old paint, use a respirator designed to filter out
dust, because the old paint may contain lead or
chromates. Use a HEPA vacuum, like NSN
7910-01-0685662, to clean up.

Notice the use of the words "any old paint"...these warnings aren't related to CARC, but paint in general. I definitely painted my share of Bradleys before dessert storm 1, and we used the same precautions and procedures as about any body shop you might find. When we first were being trained, there were a couple instructors that "overstated" the dangers of CARC paint, but the civilians that were running the show clued us into the fact the it really wasn't any more dangerous than normal urethanes. I think the instructors decided that carc meant carcinogen!
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #9  
Hey Von, glad to see you're keeping yourself busy!

I've used a lot of POR15 on my old Dodge pickups. Gas tank clean and seal. Exhaust manifolds. Rear end and frame as it gets exposed. The stuff works great! I used Chassis Black (also by POR15) over the base coat on the frame and axles; it's practically bomb proof. And no, you don't use POR15 as a basecoat on an engine; they have other products for that. The also have a tie coat for use as a sandable primer if you want to topcoat with other paints, but I've had great results with spraying a primer over the POR15 while it's still tacky, letting it dry completely, then topcoating.

All that said, however, Auto Restorer recently did a test of rust conversion coatings and rated Eastman's tops both in performance and ease of use. I have no experience with that line but am going to give it a try on my other truck.

Oh, and pay attention to the part where they tell you to wear gloves, and to get it off your skin before it sets. I ignored that advice and had a black streak across my nose and cheek for about a month! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Pete

/ A few POR-15 paint questions to those who use it. #10  
Nice try but no. It isn't talking about "any old paint" meaning any type of paint. It is talking about the removal of any old paint on the military equipment. And the only old paint on it is the CARC paint that it is talking about.