Is this the starter or solenoid?

/ Is this the starter or solenoid? #1  

petebert

Silver Member
Tractor
When starting my tractor it does this thing where the motor will start to turn over and then the starter just makes a spinning sound, like something failed to catch. It's kind of random, sometimes it "catches" other times it doesn't. I might have to turn the key a few times but it will start eventually. Is this something inside the starter or is the solenoid failing?

I made a video which should show the symptoms a lot better.

/ Is this the starter or solenoid? #2  
I don't know for sure on your tractor but back in the day with a car it was for sure the solenoid.

/ Is this the starter or solenoid? #3  
My JD 2840 was doing something similar, after checking rebuild prices locally, I ordered a new starter from All State Ag Parts.

/ Is this the starter or solenoid? #4  
It's possible the flywheel is worn but more than likely it's the Bendix on front the starter.
You can go to Youtube and see how to install this or take the starter off and take it to a shop for repairs. New starter is somewhere around $170. This Bendix as shown in the picture is around $12-15. The solenoid is the electric magnet that sits on top of the starter and gets everything to working (for a lack of words) If it's bad it usually just makes a clicking sound and the starter won't even start turning. I'm certainly not a mechanic just telling you what I've run into.

When you shut your tractor off the engine usually stops rotating in the same position everytime. That means your starter bendix tries to engage the flywheel at the same exact spot the next time you start up. After a lot of starts over the years the flywheel gets a little worn at that spot and the bendix slowly becomes worn also. Eventually its going to start doing exactly what yours is doing. A new bendix will have better teeth on it to help engage the flywheel even if the flywheel is a little worn.

ford 3600 bendix TBN ready.jpg

/ Is this the starter or solenoid? #5  
Another check point is to make sure that the starting voltage to the solenoid is not dropping to far below 12V which will disengage the solenoid/starter.

/ Is this the starter or solenoid? #6  
I agree with Steave... The Bendix Spring is not holding the engagement allowing the starter to spin without engagement of the flywheel ! If the starter wasn't spinning then the solenoid would be the Culprit.
Depending on the age of the starter, just replacing the Bendix may help and work but may only leave issues that will rear their heads when you least expect it.
A dirty armature or bad brushes or dirty commentator make be a bad thing ! These things can cause high current draw through the starter and in turn burn up the battery and starter.
Best bet it to get the starter either rebuilt or replaced with new. You need to decide if the tractor is worth the extra cash or what your time is worth re-fixing what you already thought you fixed, if you get what I mean. Next with high amperage draw, will it take out wiring, meters and other electrical components ?

Sometimes it is better to have a good rebuild done by a pro or just replace the starter with new, usually it pays off in the long run and if it goes back it might be covered by warranty.t

What kirkawilson stated is true too... Once you get your starter working properly, you need to consider the starter wiring. You should rewire the battery/power cabling. First from the battery to starter and alternator/generator, then the grounding system should be considered to include a ground wire to the starter mounting hardware, (allowing the starter a better current flow which means easier spinning), a ground wires to the charging system, the frame, the engine block.

Not always the cheapest process but the engine/charging system/starter system will love you for it !

Sorry, got carried away !

Luck on your choices !

/ Is this the starter or solenoid? #9  
there is a possibility of 2 lucas starter that would have come on your starter can you find the number on your starter this will tell us exactly which you have the most common one runs new less than 100.00 including freight and past experience says its going the be the bendix drive