Diesel burning oil, bad

/ Diesel burning oil, bad #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
I started this thread in the Ventrac section, http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/ventrac/367478-ventrac-42oo-tubo-diesl-driving.html. I thought I might get a little more feed back here.
If you read thru the original thread, I was able to pretty much fix the electrical and hyd oil problems. My question now is why all of a sudden is the engine smoking like a tar kiln. The engine had 750 hrs on it when the hr meter broke about 7-8 years ago. I know the compression has been getting low over the years, but that doesnt explain how its acting now. When I cranked the engine to put the machine in the shop, the engine ran normal, little smoke, but not much. The only thing I did to the engine was change the oil. I put a 5/30 oil in with plans to just let it run for a little bit and maybe wash out any gunk that might be stopping up any of the oil drain back holes and then change the oil again to a 15/40 rotella. After changing the oil using the 5/30 I let the engine come up to 180*F and then drove it to my barn nd back, about 100ft each way. Before I could even get to the barn, the engine started pouring out the dark smoke and losing power really bad. I drove the machine back to the shop and tried to rev it up, hoping the smoke would clear, but it got worse. I then shut off the ignition switch but the engine wouldnt shut off, wouldnt idle down or rev up, it just ran at about half throttle pouring out the smoke the whole time. Finally the engine just decided to die on it own. I feel the engine was sucking oil into the cyl and running off motor oil instead of diesel. after checking the oil level, it had burnt about a qt in about 30 min of total run time. Anyways, I went ahead and changed the oil again using the 15/40 rotella. Cranked the engine and let it idle until water temp was back up to 180*F. Engine was smoking pretty bad, the whole time and after warming up I drove it out of the shop. Made about 3 or 4 trips to the barn and back and again the engine started smoking worse and losing power. Parked back in the shop and shut off ignition. again the engine refused to die until I hit the travwl and choked the engine down. My thoughts are the pistons are pulling oil up by the rings , enough so that it doesnt need diesel fuel to run. I just cant figure why with just a oil and filter change how this could happen so quickly. Engine is a vanguard diahatsu 950dt diesel .

/ Diesel burning oil, bad
I had already read that thread. I can look down the valve cover fill cap and I dont see any oil build up. Even when filling with new oil, it seems to run down pretty fast, so I dont think thats the problem. Some one said it might be the turbo sucking oil. I had another machanic tell me the same thing, but he couldnt tell me how to check this problem.

Finally got cool enough to revisit the oil problem. Everybody said check the turbo so thats what I did. I planned on removing the intake hose and just spinning the impellers to see if the bearing might be shot, but as soon as I looked in the turbo, the problem was obvious. Stuck in the impeller was a piece of plastic wrap. I had had all the intake tubes off and had cleaned them with breke clean and wiped out with a rag. Only way that plastic could have gotten in the turbo would have been at the breather. I am thinking there must of been a piece of the plastic wrap stuck inside the filter when I installed it. Anyways, I removed the plastic from the turbo and cranked it up. Motor smoked for about a minute and then cleared up. Cheap fix of what I thought was going to cost me a couple of grand or more to fix.

/ Diesel burning oil, bad #5  
I am not much of a mechanic, but what I was told on Turbos was grab a hold of the fins in the turbo (remove intake hose) and give it a shake. If the fins are loose, your bearing are going and that is usually a suck point for oil.

Once I got the plastic wrap out of the impeller, I did give them a good shake. Everything seems tight. Since removing the plastic seems to have cleared up the smoking problem, I am pretty sure that was the problem. Maybe not the only problem, I suspect that with the turbo plugged, and the engine not sucking air, it had to suck air from somewhere to run. With the amount of oil it burnt in just a few minutes of running, and the suspected low compression, I am guessing oil was being pulled up by the rings. Right now its run it till it blows and worry about a replacment later. No more than I now use the machine, it should last me a few more years even if it does burn a little oil.