My Sawzall, Sawz nothing!

/ My Sawzall, Sawz nothing! #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
I bought this a couple years ago. I'm a homeowner, not a contractor. I've only used it (don't really know) let's say a dozen times.

Just now pulled it out to cut two 2x4's that are hard to reach.

Held it firm, cut first 2x4 and noticed a smell in room.

Started to cut the second 2x4 and stopped midway to readjust... realized that my pants leg was hot. (I was using my body as a weight against the body of the saw, cutting away from me BUT, I was not "grinding" into it)

Anyway, I noticed some smoke coming out of it. :eek:

Not really thinking, I presumed it just got warm from cutting a 2x4 (it should not be THIS warm with a single cut)

I started cutting....then I noticed what appeared to be "flames" (a too strong of word) where the brushes might touch the stator (or whatever it's called)

Stopped again...more smoke.

I only had a tiny amount to cut for the board to be finished so I cut it and watched the saw. It was smoking and "blowing out some flames" (not really flames, just a bunch of sparks)

It WAS getting hot to the touch in that area of the case.

Unplugged it and took it apart to inspect the brushes, they look 100% fine. Took handle off and noticed the bluing on the coils.

Don't know what caused it but this is evidently where my issue was.

So, your thoughts?

Saw is toast, pitch it and buy a new one?
Saw is worth fixing, ship it back to Milwaukee?
(I only paid $100 for it as I bought it at a pawn shop and it was PRISTINE with the box, never had an issue until this)

Cold.jpgHot.jpg

/ My Sawzall, Sawz nothing! #2  
Looks like a nice saw except for the fire think. It looks like the winding got fried. Not counting parts it would probably cost $50 to fix, maybe more.
I would chuck it and get a new one and not think about it anymore.

/ My Sawzall, Sawz nothing!
Just tried something.

Plugged it in and turned it on.

Whenever you have a motor, you can see little sparks where the brushes rub on the stator/armature?

This does that too but, when I pull the trigger all the way, the sparks get MUCH larger and that seems to be a visual description of the problem.

/ My Sawzall, Sawz nothing! #5  
I just looked at local box store prices. They ranged $100 for a new 12A Sawzall to $200 for a 15A Super Sawzall. It may cost you more to send in for repair than buy new.

/ My Sawzall, Sawz nothing! #6  
For tools I use infrequently, I'd just as soon get them from Harbor Freight. If the break, I didn't pay much for them to start with. In this case, $30 for that at HF,

/ My Sawzall, Sawz nothing! #7  
Richard, did it get wet for some reason. That can cause some extra 'fire'. If it did you can try blow drying but if the coil windings got fried then I agree, might as well get a new one.

Guess I'll just replace it. I agree that by the time you factor in shipping, the cost of fixing would be close to replacement.

The wife last night was wanting something else cut.... I said we don't have the appropriate tool (with this out of the equation) unless.... we use this knowing that it might be its last use. (I stopped using it with the logic of not creating more damage)

But, if I'm to replace it....then I might do the last bit of work and let it die in my loving arms....

(ok, that sounded weird :rolleyes:)

/ My Sawzall, Sawz nothing! #10  
It sounds like the commutator is coated (corroded) and the brushes are not making good contact. If you can get to it take some fine sandpaper and rub clean the surface of the commutator. Also verify the brushes are in straight and have a good contact surface. This is something that can happen from lack of use or possible cracked brush if it was dropped or something.