Best source for mower belts?

/ Best source for mower belts? #1  

/pine

Super Star Member
I need the deck and PTO belts for a MTD rider...many of the mower part suppliers want $30+ for the belts...I see the same (part #) belts on e-bay and some other sites (like Sears) for much less...what is the skinny on the difference?...anyone have a quality source for inexpensive replacement belts?

/ Best source for mower belts? #3  
I have been buying belts from ebay for a while now with no problems.
If your OEM belt is Kevlar make sure that is what you are getting!

/ Best source for mower belts? #4  
I use Napa belts. They are usually $20 or less. They are about 1/3 the price of OEM belts, and I've noticed no reduction in life span.

Last edited:
   / Best source for mower belts? #6  
I have bought from ebay when I have time to wait.

Tractor Supply has a good selection of L4 Kevlar belts for less than $20 each. If you have your old belt you can match it up with one of those and it should work fine. I haven't had any problem switching from an A belt to an L4. The listed size isn't exactly the diameter of the belt so you have to measure in the store. Mark your old belt and run a tape measure around the outside. Then take the tape measure with you to TS and measure the belts to get the right diameter. The listed sizes will be about an inch and a half off from actual.

/ Best source for mower belts? #7  
There is an Oil Field Supply business in our town. I get name brand belts there for half what they cost other places.

Walt Conner

/ Best source for mower belts? #8  
Forget OEM and OEM part numbers. Get the sizes of the belt. Width and length to nearest inch. The use the common numbering systems, like B60 or 5v620. That will open a whole new world of options and prices.

When it comes belts, i compare those to nuts/bolts, hydraulic fittings/hoses, tires, bearings, etc. In that I dont order them based off a MFG number. I order by trade size/dimension. If you needed a standard run-of-the-mill hex bolt for your machine, would you try to find that bolt by its OEM part #, or would you just go buy the size you need?

/ Best source for mower belts? #9  
I'm with Chim, vbeltsforless has worked well for me. They are a division of Belarus tractors. Seems to 1/3 to 1/2 of local and they have a good selection of Kevlar wrapped too.

/ Best source for mower belts? #10  
Depending on how the belt is used makes a difference as to the generics belts life. We have seen difference as to the lower priced belts life span actually costing far more and cutting life by over one third. Some belts are not built to change drive angles or to have an idler on the back for tightness.
We do find that sometimes the reason for failure is not the belts problem and some belts will exist with pulley and idler issues.