Transfer pump for cleaning implements ?

/ Transfer pump for cleaning implements ? #1  

redka

Silver Member
The thread about cleaning radiators got me to thinking about this again. I don't have power nor a well at my remote property. Would like to get a pump to pressure wash radiator, and the few implements I have, and the tractor. I do some bush hogging and food plot prep so my implements are bush hog, harrow, spin spreader, cultipacker. I could use the pto chemical sprayer to wash off implements, but not the radiator. I did a search looking at electric pumps I could run from my portable generator and a water tank in the bed of pickup, but don't know what to get such as gpm and pressure. I see prices from under $100 up into several hundred. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

/ Transfer pump for cleaning implements ? #2  
The thread about cleaning radiators got me to thinking about this again. I don't have power nor a well at my remote property. Would like to get a pump to pressure wash radiator, and the few implements I have, and the tractor. I do some bush hogging and food plot prep so my implements are bush hog, harrow, spin spreader, cultipacker. I could use the pto chemical sprayer to wash off implements, but not the radiator. I did a search looking at electric pumps I could run from my portable generator and a water tank in the bed of pickup, but don't know what to get such as gpm and pressure. I see prices from under $100 up into several hundred. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

I would get a decent gas powered pressure washer and run it off the tank. I have a trailer here set up for it with totes ganged together. I run a sediment trap/screener before the pressure washer pump and occasionally will dose the totes with a little bit of chlorine to keep algae and fungus down.

/ Transfer pump for cleaning implements ? #3  
The 5 or 6 roll roller pumps powered by the tractor PTO would be viable for what you describe. Ken Sweet

/ Transfer pump for cleaning implements ?
The 5 or 6 roll roller pumps powered by the tractor PTO would be viable for what you describe. Ken Sweet

Could do everything except the radiator. Would like to hose it from the back side, but that would not work with engine/fan running...fan spinning.

I would get a decent gas powered pressure washer and run it off the tank. I have a trailer here set up for it with totes ganged together. I run a sediment trap/screener before the pressure washer pump and occasionally will dose the totes with a little bit of chlorine to keep algae and fungus down.

CeekyB, so the gas powered pressure washer will function by gravity flow from the tote?

/ Transfer pump for cleaning implements ? #6  
CeekyB, so the gas powered pressure washer will function by gravity flow from the tote?

Oh yes. The ganged tote one is out on the road at the moment but I can post a picture of a ganged 55 gallon barrel skid from work tomorrow :) It has a Honda pressure washer on it, you do not have to buy Honda, that is just your tax dollars at waste.

I cannot stress enough the filter basket tho, frequent pump rebuilds suck.

A good many stationary pressure washers are fed from a hose connected to a tank with a float in it. It lets the pump get more than the hose can provide for short periods that it needs under low flow conditions.

/ Transfer pump for cleaning implements ? #7  
Could do everything except the radiator. Would like to hose it from the back side, but that would not work with engine/fan running...fan spinning.

I have seen the fan stopped by releasing belt tension at the alternator for long enough to blow out the radiator. Ken Sweet

I have seen the fan stopped by releasing belt tension at the alternator for long enough to blow out the radiator. Ken Sweet

Had not thought of that.

Oh yes. The ganged tote one is out on the road at the moment but I can post a picture of a ganged 55 gallon barrel skid from work tomorrow :) It has a Honda pressure washer on it, you do not have to buy Honda, that is just your tax dollars at waste.

I cannot stress enough the filter basket tho, frequent pump rebuilds suck.

A good many stationary pressure washers are fed from a hose connected to a tank with a float in it. It lets the pump get more than the hose can provide for short periods that it needs under low flow conditions.

The "filter basket"....is that the in line filters withe metal screen I see on internet search?

/ Transfer pump for cleaning implements ? #10  
The "filter basket"....is that the in line filters withe metal screen I see on internet search?

There are several types you can get, Y Strainers, also called Banjo strainers varying grades of filtration available. Power Pro makes an inline filter for pressure washers, I think it is Lowes or HD that carries them. Then there are "Sequence Strainer Baskets" I tend to use those as you can get different grades of mesh baskets for them. Micromesh you would only want to use for pressured systems, fine mesh can be used on tank fed pressure washers, you can also run the baskets that have slits in them but these tend to only catch larger pieces of debris, used mostly before the pumps in ponds.