Ford 2000 starter drive

/ Ford 2000 starter drive #1  

kennyl123

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 2000
HI folks, have a 1972 ford 2000 3 cyl. diesel . The starter drive keeps spinning after tractor starts. Turn key off and still spins, kill tractor and still spins. The only way I got it to stop was to pull starter drive wire off of terminal on starter. What is more likely, key switch bad or regulator or what? Thanks in advance, Kenny

/ Ford 2000 starter drive #2  
regulator? the part that controls the generator charging the battery. I'd vote for that. because it makes the least sense and is totally unrelated to any part of your problem. Might as well guess it is right rear tire pressure.. or paint flaking off a rear fender... :(

Ok.. now.. talking seriously.. lets look at a couple things. if the starter drive is spinning.. the STARTER is spinning.

For the starter to spin it needs power from the big cable.

which wire are you disconnecting to make it stop.. the little wire from the NSS or the big wire from the battery. If it's the little wire.. that means your key switch wiring is telling the starter to spin.

if you pull the little wire and it keeps spinning, that means the solenoid is sticking

post back.

Soundguy

/ Ford 2000 starter drive
My bad....HA meant solenoid ...but anyway I pulled the little wire off and it stopped so I guess you answered my question and switch is bad am I right thanks

/ Ford 2000 starter drive #4  
Kenny, he said "if you pull the little wire and it keeps spinning, that means the solenoid is sticking". Not the key switch.
Jim

/ Ford 2000 starter drive #5  
My bad....HA meant solenoid ...but anyway I pulled the little wire off and it stopped so I guess you answered my question and switch is bad am I right thanks

Kenny, he said "if you pull the little wire and it keeps spinning, that means the solenoid is sticking". Not the key switch.
Jim

And he pulled the little wire and it stopped..

/ Ford 2000 starter drive #6  
At this point, a test lamp will confirm that the start contact on the switch is staying hot.

Baring any rewiring, looks like switch.

Easy to test.

Hook test lamp to that loose wire and ground, run switch thru positions. Start should only stay hot in spring loaded start position