Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there

/ Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there #1  

mrkool

Tractor
Ford 198?
On a job and seen this Ford 2910 in the bushes and ended up trading some work for it.

I've finally gotten around to working on it and after replacing 2 bent push rods, fuel pump and starter.

I checked and found one injector not squirting, so took it out and got it working again so all 3 are spraying now.

It's almost trying to start and run, but it's blowing oil particles out the exhaust and knocking pretty hard then quits.

So thats my problem, do you think its an injector stuck open OR ? I'm open to suggestions here....

Attachments

• Ford 2910 in the bushes.jpg
    Ford 2910 in the bushes.jpg
    854.1 KB · Views: 601
  • Info label.jpg
    Info label.jpg
    837.4 KB · Views: 332
   / Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there #2  
My Deere blows soot particles out the exhaust when I leave it outside and some rain water enters the pipe. Wait until it starts ! Don't park it on some new concrete ! See it you can push start it or roll it down a hill and let the clutch out.

/ Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there #3  
Check the oil filter for metal particles. You may have a rod fixing to let go. Also if you had to replace push rods check all for proper clearance.

/ Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there #4  
A diesel just needs air, fuel (properly timed) and compression.

If you have good compression and the air is getting to the motor, it has to be fuel.

I would bleed again at each injector to make sure all the air is out.

/ Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there #5  
On a job and seen this Ford 2910 in the bushes and ended up trading some work for it.

I've finally gotten around to working on it and after replacing 2 bent push rods, fuel pump and starter.

I checked and found one injector not squirting, so took it out and got it working again so all 3 are spraying now.

It's almost trying to start and run, but it's blowing oil particles out the exhaust and knocking pretty hard then quits.

So thats my problem, do you think its an injector stuck open OR ? I'm open to suggestions here....

I would be a little concerned about what bent the two push rods, did it go under water and hydro-lock. What other thing causes push rods to bend? I would be really cautious upon start up to not over rev it before listening for a cylinder rod bearing to go or something worse.
I think the owner could enlighten you a bunch on why it was parked up to start with. The exterior looks too good to just park it.

/ Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there #6  
Did you drain all fuel and start with fresh fuel and filters? White smoke can indicate too much fuel. Too heavy a stream coming out of 1 or more injectors. Not breaking at the right pressure. Maybe have them bench tested. It seems you have the compression, maybe check it while the injectors are removed. After all that, as snobdds says, timing. Possibly the injection pump.
I'm not recommending this, but, if it runs on a rag dipped in gas, fumes into the air cleaner or either, then that pretty much tells you it should run with proper fuel. No air in the system, proper injection.

/ Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there #7  
I would be a little concerned about what bent the two push rods, did it go under water and hydro-lock. What other thing causes push rods to bend? I would be really cautious upon start up to not over rev it before listening for a cylinder rod bearing to go or something worse.
I think the owner could enlighten you a bunch on why it was parked up to start with. The exterior looks too good to just park it.

The 10 Series Fords are good tractors!

I've seen push rod's get bent from starting or turning over the engine in a tractor that has been sitting for a long time. The oil on the valve guides is sludgy and the valves are really sticky so the push rod buckles. Another possibility is on an "interference engine" when something screws up the valve timing and the piston hits an open valve. (An "interference engine" is one where, due to valve train and piston geometry, it is possible to have a piston strike a valve. Many modern engines are designed this way and that why you have to change the timing belts at prescribed intervals.) When I rebuilt the head on my old TO-30 I had a couple of bent pushrod's that the previous owner overlooked when he got it running. I'm sure they were sticky and just buckled.

/ Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there #8  

Check the air filter to make sure you're getting adequate air into the engine and monitor the oil pressure when you crank it. (You may want to put an oil gauge on it temporarily to help you monitor oil pressure if it doen't have one) .If you haven't done so, you should drain the lube oil and change the oil filter because what's in the crankcase after all that time ain't good for the bearings.

/ Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there #9  
That's a nice tractor. Hope you get it running. Too bad you don't have more history on the machine. I'm no mechanic, but it doesn't sound too serious from your clip. How many hours?

/ Pulled an old Ford out of bushes and found out why it was there #10  
Glad you got it running. Check the oil pressure and be sure it is at least 5-10 psi while running slow. There is some definite knocking noise- hopefully it is just really loose valves- as others said, check the valve lash carefully. Maybe it is exhaust noise- throw a muffler on it and maybe that will help you hear better whether you have a rod/main problem.