Air Compressor Conversion

/ Air Compressor Conversion #1  

orezok

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
The electric motor on my 35 year old Speedair is gone. The pump and everything else is in good shape. I have a brand new 6.5 HP gas engine that I could mount. I know that I will need some kind of unloader to release pressure as the gas engine runs constantly. Does anyone have a suggestion?

/ Air Compressor Conversion #4  
Can't say I know that setup in detail.

I'd probably try and find a shop that has a fleet of road-service trucks. If they don't have some scrap units around to pull parts from, they may be able to tell you of a good source. Just my guess, for a place to start.

Rgds, D

/ Air Compressor Conversion #8  
It's the TBN way.

So true. But hey its' entertaining.

To the OP. Simply go buy a new electric motor would be my suggestion. I'm sure it can be done for under $150 at HF with a coupon.
2 HP Compressor Duty Motor

Seems like it will be complicated to make the gas motor work without adding $150 in parts.

/ Air Compressor Conversion
So true. But hey its' entertaining.

To the OP. Simply go buy a new electric motor would be my suggestion. I'm sure it can be done for under $150 at HF with a coupon.
2 HP Compressor Duty Motor

Seems like it will be complicated to make the gas motor work without adding $150 in parts.

All true, but this is not my shop compressor. It's primary use is when I need air somewhere on my 26 acres. and I haven't found an extension cord long enough :laughing:. I think running it on my generator is what took out the motor. Hauling both a compressor and a 9000 watt generator is problematic.

I have a virtually new gas motor setting in the shop waiting for a job to do.

I only use the compressor a couple of time a year so I'm looking for a simple solution.

/ Air Compressor Conversion #10  
How about searching around for a diagram of a commercial gas powered compressor, and seeing what they use? You might be able to grab some part numbers and cobble up your own system.

That approach should meet the TBN complexity requirements, too! :D