Ford 8N RF Tire Rubs

/ Ford 8N RF Tire Rubs #1  

refbob99

Tractor
TYM T354HST
Hi all, first time poster on the forum.

I have a 52 Ford 8N issue I need some help with. I was clearing some brush recently and noticed that the RF tire is rubbing against the back of the bolt on the arm that connects the top of the spindle to the drag link. Took off the wheel; no apparent cracks in the rim. Pulled the hub and rebuilt it with new wheel bearings and races; no help. Checked the spindle and found no wobble or anything loose. I did notice a slight bend in the drag link, but not what I would consider enough to cause an issue. Tractor steers fine both directions, so I'm ruling out the steering box. Made sure the tire has the right air pressure. On the LF wheel, there is about 1/2 an inch space between the tire and the arm.

Not sure if I need to replace the drag link or not. Would appreciate any thoughts you may have on the issue or additional troubleshooting I need to do.

/ Ford 8N RF Tire Rubs #2  
Welcome to TBN.

Maybe it is a replacement wheel with a different backspace, or a wider replacement tire.

Bruce

/ Ford 8N RF Tire Rubs
Good point, but been using the same wheel since I bought the tractor about 5 years ago. Only noticed the problem after using it a couple weeks ago. Don't recall hitting anything hard enough to bend it, and it has rub mark all the way around the inside of the tire.

/ Ford 8N RF Tire Rubs #4  
Pictures would help - both sides

Is this rubbing something new? Does it rub all the time or only when turning. Many tractors have a bolt that limits the distance the draglink can travel when the wheel is turned. It is possible your fell out.

/ Ford 8N RF Tire Rubs
Thanks Qapla. The rubbing occurs all the time, when turning or not turning. I just noticed it a couple weeks ago; before then the right and left sides both had about 1/2 inch of clearance between the bolt on the arm and the inside of the tire.

Wondering if there is a crack in the rim I can't see that causes the rubbing when there is full weight on the rim. Will try swapping the tires to see if it moves with the rim.

/ Ford 8N RF Tire Rubs
Swapped the tires, no change in the problem. Looks like my next step is to replace the RH spindle and bushings. Any tips on specific things to look for when changing out the spindle?

/ Ford 8N RF Tire Rubs #8  
You could dish the rim.. But really, if you post son pics we coil help determine the cause.

Always, always diagnose problems before buying parts. I'm sure your hub enjoyed new bearings, but it was expense that did nothing to correct the undiagnosed geometry problem.

/ Ford 8N RF Tire Rubs #9  
If both rims rub on one knee and not the other, the hub faces are equidistant from the bottom of the knee, and the wheel bearings are sound and snug, you are pretty much left with a bent spindle.

/ Ford 8N RF Tire Rubs
Finally got back to the tractor repair and found the problem. Pulled the spindle and discovered that the thrust bearing was cracked in half. Put in a new bearing, bushings, and dust cap. Problem solved and we're back to brush hogging. Thanks to all who responded.