rebuilding a trailer

/ rebuilding a trailer #1  

ghost68

I am planning on rebuilding the trailer that my father uses to haul his JD 1050 on. I'm going to pull the wood deck, clean up the frame and paint it (thinking of using truck bed liner), rewire and redo the brakes. I have a question about using something on the wood deck to seal it. What do you all use? Is it even worth it? I've thought about using something like Thompson Water Seal but I'm not use.

Thanks in advance,

Ghost

/ rebuilding a trailer #2  
I use a 50/50 mix of used motor oil and diesel and paint it on every couple of years.

/ rebuilding a trailer #3  
I save the hydraulic oil when I change the hydraulic oil in my tractors. Apply it with a paint roller at 100%. I do this about 2/3 times a year or until it gets saturated.

/ rebuilding a trailer #4  
We recently had to put new decking on ours. I bought the pressure treated 2-by's from Home Depot. They have been making a change in their PT lumber. The wood we got is "Ground Contact Rated" - the PT from Lowes is NOT.

Had to order the 2X8's since they were 18' and the longest they stock in the store are 16'. Our trailer takes 11 boards and, in addition to having better PT on them, HD was the cheapest price we found in our area.

That said, we have no objection to using old oil, diesel, hydro fluid on the wood. It seems to work better than Thompson's.