new radatior/ electric fan

/ new radatior/ electric fan #1  

Ruger761

Tractor
Cub Cadet 7305
Started having a radiator leak. So pulled it took it to the shop to have fixed. 5 tubes were leaking so they plugged them at the top and bottom. Worked great for about 1 month not the row behind it is leaking. So got mad. New radiator for it is over $700, but could go the after market route for $80 and a little fab work to mount it.

Got it mounted up this radiator has 4 rows vs the 3 row one it took out so little more efficient.

IMG_5688.JPG

IMG_5689[1].JPG

My only snag is the original fan shroud obviously wont fit. So going to try an electric fan that it came with. Any one ever try this? If it doesn't work I'll see if I can build a custom shroud for the original fan. But sure a lot easier if the electric fan would work. Guess I should note its just a 30HP compact tractor.

Attachments

• IMG_5688[1].JPG
    IMG_5688[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
   / new radatior/ electric fan #2  
Does your tractor have the electrical power to run this fan? I once had an issue where I had to design a cooling system for my Diesel Argo. The alternator bogged the engine down at idle (running the electric fan) and it was problematic to run at elevated idle as it was a snowmobile type transmission.

/ new radatior/ electric fan
I think it should. Fan only pulls about 10 amp. Only electric I've had hooked to it was my sprayer which pulls about the same and have never noticed a change it in. The LED light bars I don't think pull enough to tell.

Manual says alt is 40 amp. Was planning on just wiring it to come on instantly no thermostat switch.

/ new radatior/ electric fan #5  
Friends have had good luck with local sheet metal shop fabbing new shrouds reasonably for engine swaps and the like, is this an option?

/ new radatior/ electric fan #6  
When they say 40 amps, is that at idle as well? Just curious. I just had issues with my Mule. Between starting, glow plugs and short uses, with the fan running in this hot weather, the battery apparently isn't getting sufficiently charged to start the thing.

Id prob fab something up wouldn't be pretty but going to try the electric out first see what happens.

Im guessing the 40 amp is at higher RPM, but since its a hydro I rarely run below 1500 rpm anyways typ sits at 2200ish so it should be getting close to the full amperage out of it. It has a pretty good sized battery in it as well.

/ new radatior/ electric fan #8  
Does the electric fan move enough air? A tractor doesn't move fast enough to get any airflow across the radiator and relies on the fan to do it.

Does the electric fan move enough air? A tractor doesn't move fast enough to get any airflow across the radiator and relies on the fan to do it.

That is one of my concerns. I didn't even think to check how the normal fan felt before I pulled it all apart. The electric fan feels like it moves a lot of air but cant compare to it

/ new radatior/ electric fan #10  
I would definitely give the electric fan a try. Most of the ones I've dealt with move plenty of air.

If it works but charging becomes a problem, I would check with a shop to see if I could get or have them rebuild it to produce more amps