Hinomoto E150 w/ locked engine

/ Hinomoto E150 w/ locked engine #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
I haven't posted here in quite a while but this last week I picked up a Hinomoto E150D with a seized engine as a project. The story I got from the seller was that the previous owner had used this tractor for 20 years to mow his field. He parked it in his machine shed for about 3 years and when he went out to start it it would not crank, the starter would engage but not turn over the engine. Since lately I have been doing mainly electrical and hydraulic work I figured a powertrain related project would add some variety to my project list.;) After getting the tractor home and putting in a new battery I encountered the same issue, the starter will engage but not spin over the engine. I have tried to turn it over by hand from the crank with no luck either. At this point I have pulled the glow plugs / injectors and filled the cylinders with ATF. The fuel tank on this tractor was full and smelled more like alcohol then diesel. Also, the number 2 injector was covered in soot whereas the number 1 injector is clean. So right now I have a couple options. If I cannot get this tractor unseized I can rebuild the engine or buy another used S88 Toyosha engine if I can find one fairly locally. Any advice as to where I can locate a service manual and parts for this tractor? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_6860.JPG
    IMG_6860.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 804
  • IMG_6864.JPG
    IMG_6864.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 793
  • IMG_6878.JPG
    IMG_6878.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 647
  • IMG_6880.JPG
    IMG_6880.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 536
  • IMG_6889.JPG
    IMG_6889.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 813
   / Hinomoto E150 w/ locked engine #2  
Some of the Hino's were identical to the Massey, AC models of the day. I do not think that is true for the 150D. The peeling paint is typical even for a well cared for example. How many hours?

/ Hinomoto E150 w/ locked engine #3  
Have you changed/checked the oil for contamination- water/rust?
Have you tried rocking it in a higher gear to free it up?

/ Hinomoto E150 w/ locked engine
Some of the Hino's were identical to the Massey, AC models of the day. I do not think that is true for the 150D. The peeling paint is typical even for a well cared for example. How many hours?

It has just slightly over 2600 hours on it

Have you changed/checked the oil for contamination- water/rust?
Have you tried rocking it in a higher gear to free it up?

The oil checked out good, proper level and free of contaminants, just looks like used engine oil.

So today I decided to dig a little deeper into the tractor. I have tried rocking it in gear to free it with no luck. The engine sat overnight with ATF and still wouldn't turn over so I decided to pull the head and see what I was up against. Prior to that please note that the fuel nozzle for cylinder 2 is covered in soot whereas the nozzle for cylinder 1 is clean. Upon removal of the injection lines I found the jamb nut on the injection pump for cylinder 2 had been moved in the past, like someone tried to bleed the system and accidentally loosened that jamb nut. If I'm not mistaken that changes the fueling for that cylinder which would give it an overfuel scenario for cylinder 2. Upon removal of the head I found that the exhaust valve is stuck open for cylinder 2, and that the cylinder wall was rusty. After carefully cleaning the cylinder wall I tried to bar the engine over by hand. Still frozen. bumped the starter, still nothing. The crankshaft does not turn at all, it's either still seized at the pistons or it spun a bearing. I poured a little ATF into the cylinders prior to cleaning up and plan to let it set for a few days. If i cannot get it to turn over soon I will split the tractor and pull off the oil pan for further inspection. I'm really hoping the bottom end is okay, I know I can get bearings but a crankshaft is another story. I am still in the process of locating another S88 engine but my options are dwindling quickly. Worst case scenario this will become a parts tractor as it still has a lot of usable parts but I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6933.JPG
    IMG_6933.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 629
  • IMG_6931.JPG
    IMG_6931.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 353
  • IMG_6930.JPG
    IMG_6930.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,158
  • IMG_6926.JPG
    IMG_6926.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 321
  • IMG_6924.JPG
    IMG_6924.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_6922.JPG
    IMG_6922.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 513
  • IMG_6921.JPG
    IMG_6921.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 890
  • IMG_6916.JPG
    IMG_6916.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 402
Just a little info I just found. I was looking into parts availability and finding hinomoto parts and literature is far from easy. The E14 model prior to the E150 is near identical, and I discovered that in the era of the E14 and E150 Hinomoto sold the same tractor to Massey ferguson which was produced as the MF205/MF205-4 in 1978-1982. The Massey ferguson tractor has service literature available and is easier to find parts for and because it uses the same S88 engine I may have found the service literature and torque values I was looking for! :thumbsup: Needless to say I am a bit relieved, I have already ordered a Massey Ferguson service manual and look forward to verifying its similarities to my Hinomoto. The photo comparison shows different front MFWD outer hubs, different fuel tanks and filtration setups, different sheetmetal, and of course different paint.

Massey 205-4.jpg IMG_6864.JPG

/ Hinomoto E150 w/ locked engine #7  
After letting it soak for a few days you might try getting a block of wood the same size as the piston and try driving the piston down and rocking to see if you can get movement.
Not knowing the crank direction it could be tricky finding the direction.
I worked on a Mercruiser 4 cyl. boat engine that had been running 3 weeks before.
I had to bust 2 pistons to get them out of the cylinders!
But that was from saltwater from a bad manifold.
Can you tell if it has liners? That would be great if it did!
Had an 8-N Ford with stuck/rusted piston and when I rolled it over with the head off the liner came right out with piston still stuck.

I wish this engine had liners. I have managed to track down quite a few parts for this engine and have a few options as to whether I rebuild the engine I have, replace it with a good short block which I located today, or worst case scenario part it out. The rebuild kit I have should work but what I am concerned about is if the cylinders need to be bored or if the crank spun a bearing I am stuck getting the stock bearings and rings, there are no oversize options. I have attached a link to the rebuild kit below:

Re-RIng Kit - RRK-S88

/ Hinomoto E150 w/ locked engine #9  
That's some mighty pricey parts for what you get. They must have some old guy carving those out of raw stock by hand. :eek:

/ Hinomoto E150 w/ locked engine #10  
Just a little info I just found. I was looking into parts availability and finding hinomoto parts and literature is far from easy. The E14 model prior to the E150 is near identical, and I discovered that in the era of the E14 and E150 Hinomoto sold the same tractor to Massey ferguson which was produced as the MF205/MF205-4 in 1978-1982. The Massey ferguson tractor has service literature available and is easier to find parts for and because it uses the same S88 engine I may have found the service literature and torque values I was looking for! :thumbsup: Needless to say I am a bit relieved, I have already ordered a Massey Ferguson service manual and look forward to verifying its similarities to my Hinomoto. The photo comparison shows different front MFWD outer hubs, different fuel tanks and filtration setups, different sheetmetal, and of course different paint.

ATTACH=CONFIG]479826[/ATTACH] View attachment 479827

Not so sure that massey is the same Hino. Maybe the E180 is the same as the 205 at 20 HP.