Holy shades of erector sets Batman!

/ Holy shades of erector sets Batman! #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
If you are older than 55, you probably remember the old erector sets where you could put together all kinds of different buildings or fun stuff. Lots and lots of tiny bolts/nuts etc. Well, I picked up one of those turntable tray type things to hold/organize the mess of bolts etc in my shop, from harbor freight. The pic of it looked ok....what they don't show is the underneath were you have to assembly thousands (well it did seem like thousands at the time...lol) of tiny bolts/washers/nuts. Did I mention thousands...My old fingers just don't like handling small, tiny parts. Ugh. Took me an hour just to assemble. I guess looking at the pic on the box, it sort of looks like it is just a snap together type of assembly...Not! Oh well, it is together and works good anyway. :confused2:

/ Holy shades of erector sets Batman! #2  
The ole gray mare she ain't what she used to be. :)

/ Holy shades of erector sets Batman! #3  
Could you have used pop rivets??

/ Holy shades of erector sets Batman! #4  
If you are older than 55, you probably remember the old erector sets where you could put together all kinds of different buildings or fun stuff. Lots and lots of tiny bolts/nuts etc. Well, I picked up one of those turntable tray type things to hold/organize the mess of bolts etc in my shop, from harbor freight. The pic of it looked ok....what they don't show is the underneath were you have to assembly thousands (well it did seem like thousands at the time...lol) of tiny bolts/washers/nuts. Did I mention thousands...My old fingers just don't like handling small, tiny parts. Ugh. Took me an hour just to assemble. I guess looking at the pic on the box, it sort of looks like it is just a snap together type of assembly...Not! Oh well, it is together and works good anyway. :confused2:

Things like this is where those power impact screw drivers earn their keep. 1af69c0f-e27c-406e-ac6f-6dfa96823387_400.jpg
I love mine.

/ Holy shades of erector sets Batman! #5  
Can you rotate each plate individually without the others spinning?

Where did you get it?

/ Holy shades of erector sets Batman! #7  
I put one of those together a while back, definitely at the extreme end of "some assembly required." The trays do turn individually, and I considered using AD 42 pop rivets instead of the machine screws, but the holes are so close to the upright dividers that the nose-piece of the riveter wouldn't fit. I suppose it could be riveted from the underside if you didn't mind the bulge part of the rivet in the bin.

/ Holy shades of erector sets Batman!
I do have one of those power drivers but it would probably destroy the thin metal this is made out of. They do turn independently and ride on ball bearings. I'll see how it holds up. It would be nice to find a shop/office that had a bunch of the old versions of this that were heavy made.

/ Holy shades of erector sets Batman! #10  
Thanks James.

Doesn't look like it would hold up to my abusive behavior.... :)

Probably not, but it would make a heck of a template to cut out your own 1/4 inch steel pieces. :laughing: