JD 5105 ignition problem

/ JD 5105 ignition problem #21  
Did you sand & clean the grounds to a shiny look at the battery & i do mean shiny. I thought i had mine cleaned, after really getting some coarse sandpaper to the connections, started right up(embarrassed).

/ JD 5105 ignition problem
Did you sand & clean the grounds to a shiny look at the battery & i do mean shiny. I thought i had mine cleaned, after really getting some coarse sandpaper to the connections, started right up(embarrassed).

I did, and even ran another ground in addition to the factory ground after reading several folks had had trouble with the grounds being attached to painted surfaces and I also replaced the replaced the battery. I am pretty certain I will find more wire damage and hope to get back on it tomorrow before noon.

thanks.

creek.

having limited experience and even less patience I beat my head against this Saturday afternoon and it was doing all kind of crazy stuff, weird tone from buzzer, back to normal tone, turn the key and get power all the way to the start solenoid then turn the key and nothing and on and on. I finally found that the PTO safety had loose wires on it but it is hard to believe that the symptoms would keep changing so I believe I have another problem to find behind this one.

Question: is it normal for the voltage to the start relay to drop when the key is switched on?? it was dropping to about 9.5 volts.

thanks.

creek.

the pto safety switch came in Thursday and I put it on but I am still not getting enough power through the start relay.

creek

/ JD 5105 ignition problem #25  
Any luck?

Relays are just switches using low voltage (in this case voltage from the safety switches) to activate high voltage circuit (in this case voltage from wire 002). What is the voltage going into the start relay and what is the voltage coming out of it, it should be almost the same.

I would also test the voltage at the key 571 and it should be the same at 301 on the start relay. If the voltage is not the same the wiring and maybe the switches are bad.

With the key in the run position do you have voltage at the fuel solenoid and if yes, what is it?

well I had no luck, just frustration but I finally found a mechanic and it was the ground. I learned an important lesson, I had ran a new ground to the frame so I thought I had that base covered, we ran the ground to the block after he proved it by running a jumper cable from the battery to the block and hitting the key and it started right up. I am over joyed.

thanks.

creek

/ JD 5105 ignition problem #27  
I had the same problem e and found the cause at the safety startswich at the PTO lever under the seat between the 4x4 lever and the PTO lever.....it's a leafmicroswitch that bendes because of dirt around the switch

/ JD 5105 ignition problem #28  
Glad to hear you got it running! Thanks for the update.

I had the same problem e and found the cause at the safety startswich at the PTO lever under the seat between the 4x4 lever and the PTO lever.....it's a leafmicroswitch that bendes because of dirt around the switch

I don't know how mine ever started, when I checked the pto safety 2 wires were loose and a third fell off while I was removing it. the design sucks too, when the switch is installed the wires are pinched tight to get it back in and it looks like it would have been easy to design it with the wire coming from another angle to avoid this.

thanks.

creek

Glad to hear you got it running! Thanks for the update.

thank you for hanging in there with me, it was encouraging.

creek