JD 5105 ignition problem

/ JD 5105 ignition problem #1  

aebsmithcreek

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 5105 MFWD
I went out to start my 5105 yesterday and it would not start. I have 12.7 volts at the battery but tried jumping it anyway, no luck. sometimes it does nothing at all when I turn the key but most the time I can hear the solenoid click and about every 20th time it actually makes it to the starter but not with enough umph to turn it over. I jumped it at the starter and got the same thing, it tries but want quite roll over. I live 60 miles or more from the dealer and they don't run a mobile truck anymore and I don't have a way to haul it to them. I also have a mechanic in the community but he is on a interstate job right now and I don't know when he will be available. I can change parts but I am stumped as to how to go farther trouble shooting to make sure I get the right part. if it is the starter I can have it rebuilt in the closest town to me by a good rebuilder but I don't want to buy what I don't need. I am a pretty poor mechanic and need and would greatly appreciate some trouble shooting for dummies type help, in other words, check battery-good- check X- good- check Y- good check Z.

I have checked to be sure that the pto, gear shift, etc, are correct even though that should keep it from trying at all. any help will be much appreciated.

I also checked the ignition switch because it vibrated loose when I first got the tractor (used) it looked fine except the ground wire looked like it had been cut clean, I spliced it back but it made no difference.

many thanks.

creek.

Last edited:
   / JD 5105 ignition problem #3  
Have you checked the fuses? Do you hear the click from under the dash ie a relay or is the click at the injection pump ie fuel shutoff solenoid? From the negative pole on the battery there is a cable that connects to the frame, disconnect it from the frame and make sure the bolt and hole in frame is rust free.

I have attached a picture of the 5105 starting system.

Attachments

• 5105starting_system.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 354
   / JD 5105 ignition problem
yeah I had that problem already and it is unplugged. thanks, I appreciate the help very much. I know this kind of problem is a bear if you cant get your eyes and hands on it.

creek

thanks I printed that out to take home, I have one but that is much easier on my old eye. I checked fuses visually but have been advised to check them with a meter, since I don't see well probably good advice. it sounds as if the start relay makes intermittently but even then wont roll the engine over. I talked to a mechanic at the dealer and he thinks I have a wiring issue, they want 200 bucks for travel plus 95 bucks an hour while onsite trouble shooting or 400 bucks hauling charge plus whatever runs up in the shop, probably looking at a grand minimum regardless of what it is. I may have to do that but I aint giving up hope yet. if it would be consistent it might be a little easier. the fact that I cant force a start from the starter worries me.

thanks fellas, I be checking back regular like.

creek.

/ JD 5105 ignition problem #6  
It will not start by jumping at the starter because there will be no power to the fuel shut off relay. If your not in a big rush to get it running. Here is my suggestions check fuses, the ground at the battery (good chance it could be this), start testing working from the battery to the starter. Or go directly to the starter and see if you have power there as the problem could be in the starter. I guess you know, but just in case, most auto parts stores will test the starter for you. You may want to do a search on the net on how to test relays easy to do. For a power source use a 12V car charger.

I have included a link to JD parts to look up the part numbers and order it from greenfarmparts.com. I have not had any problems with them and you get the part in about 4 days or better. You can always call them to see if they have the part.

John Deere - Parts Catalog

/ JD 5105 ignition problem #7  
My 5105 was doing the same thing, sometimes cranking over sometimes not even a click. It tuned out to be the ground cable to frame connection. The frame was painted there so the only contact was through the bolt's threads. I removed the paint and reconnected the cable, all good now.

/ JD 5105 ignition problem #8  
My 5105 was doing the same thing, sometimes cranking over sometimes not even a click. It tuned out to be the ground cable to frame connection. The frame was painted there so the only contact was through the bolt's threads. I removed the paint and reconnected the cable, all good now.

Yep, spray it good with that "red battery" stuff & all will be good. When you think you've got cleaned enough, sand some more til it's shiny.

thanks Guys, I will start checking these items this afternoon after work. I cleaned the battery terminals and cables Sunday at the battery end, I will pull the ground off of the frame and clean all of that and put it back to bare metal. I was telling a guy at work about it this morning and he said his JD is having the same issue to a lesser degree, he is getting the click-click-click then the starter rolls over and the engine will crank so I will pass this info to him as well.

thanks again, I am a pretty poor trouble shooter and the folks here have been a big help.

creek.

OK, some improvement. got the new battery in and it did start after doing the clicking thing. sounds like it is coming from the solenoid behind the dash. JD doesn't have the solenoid and one of the mechanics where I work is in the loose connection camp so before I order a solenoid I am going to trace and check connections, I was so excited it started last night I put it right to work out of fear it wont start again tonight.

thanks.

creek