Tractor Shuts down

/ Tractor Shuts down #1  

crazyhorsemd

Tractor
2000 New Holland TN70, 1974 White 1370
Hello all...need some help
Have a 1974 White 1370 4 cyl. Diesel. Purchased 2010, has run great. Changed all filters, fluids, usual maintenance.
Past month, tractor harder to start, have to remove the oil bath air cleaner to start. Now, after running 30 + minutes, ( power good ..no issues) I see a little smoke from engine breather tube ( have seen it before in past..very minimal) then the engine losses all power, more smoke from breather and quits with a big puff of smoke from breather tube. No water in oil, antifreeze level good, oil level good, does not appear to be using more fuel than usual. The smoke does not appear as oil (it's not real thick, blue / white) One thing though, when it quits, I "think" the engine feels hotter than usual and the exhaust does not have the usual "diesel" odor, Note, I do not see puffs of smoke from the muffler. Is this a fuel issue???? I think it is but I'm not diesel mechanic

Thanks for listening
Any suggestions are appreciated

Crazyhorsemd

/ Tractor Shuts down #2  
Welcome to TBN
What type inj pump does engine have? Check to be sure excess fuel that fuel system doesn't utilize is being returned to fuel tank IE is return line not plugged with debris?.

/ Tractor Shuts down
Tx Jim,

Thanks,
Not sure what type IJ pump but will check and let you know ( Sorry, I'm still learning about diesel) Do all systems have a "return line"

Thanks

/ Tractor Shuts down #4  
Make sure fuel tank is vented properly also. You can loosen the cap to see if it makes a difference.

/ Tractor Shuts down
Could this be a glow plug issue? I've noticed recently that when I start the engine , the pre heater does not "pop" like it used to before turning the ignition?

/ Tractor Shuts down
Thanks Milkman,
I'm still rather new to tractors and Diesel... At start up, I turn the starter switch almost to point of ignition, hold it there for appx 10 seconds, hear a "pop" then turn a little further to start. Thought this was pre-heater??? is this the fuel shut off solenoid I'm hearing. Sorry if I appear clueless but up until 2-3 weeks, tractor always slow to start but ran great

/ Tractor Shuts down #8  
Yes, could be pre heater, I think your tractor is direct injected so maybe intake manifold heater. I think I would start looking for a fuel delivery problem, plugged fuel filter or plugged fuel line, although on here, this is like shooting in the dark.