I hate small engines that have sat not used.

/ I hate small engines that have sat not used. #1  

muddstopper

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ventrac, Steiner
Cant really blame anyone other than myself. When I got out of the landscaping business about 15 years ago. I left a lot of my equipment sit around rusting. Since I have stopped working, I started dragging some of that equipment out of the weeds and seeing if I can get it running again. Cant sell a rusty hunk of junk. Anyways, I own a aerovator with a 11hp honda. I kept it becasue I like to use it on my own lawn every now and then. It hadnt been cranked in at least 5 or 6 years, but it was in the dry. Took the fel and hauled it to the shop. I decided to take the bowl off the carb before trying to start. Well almost had to pry it off. Full of varnish. UHoh, went ahead and took carb off and disassembled for good cleaning. Everything was stuck, choke, throttle, if it was supposed to move, it was stuck. Spent some time with my pocket knife just scraping the gunk out of the carb. Then a good while with carb cleaner and tooth brush. Took some pbnutblaster and sprayed all the moving parts and got everything working, so I thought. Put carb back on motor and wouldnt fire. Checked for spark and had plenty. Sprayed either and would crank, but wouldnt run. Took carb off again for another look. Not sure what the part is called, but the little jet that actually sprays the gas inside the carb was clogged tighter than dicks hatband. It had a slot for a screw driver to remove, but it wasnt going to budge. while I sat there trying to figure how to get the jet out, I thought about my torch tip cleaner. They are just little drill bits and surely one of them would work to run thru the jet. I started tiny until I could feel the bit scraping metal and kept spraying with carb cleaner.until I had a big stream passing thru the jet. Put the carb back together, squirt of either and motor fired right up. Ran good too, for a few minutes and then started sputtering. Might be a piece of trash still in the carb, but I ma betting spark plug. Going to replace plug tomorrow and if that dont help I guess it tear apart the carb again.

/ I hate small engines that have sat not used. #2  
I would take the carburetor back off and clean that out. This time I would also clean out the fuel lines and tank. If it's got fuel filter replace that. The lines are cheap enough I'd replace that instead of cleaning them.

/ I hate small engines that have sat not used. #3  
I would take the carburetor back off and clean that out. This time I would also clean out the fuel lines and tank. If it's got fuel filter replace that. The lines are cheap enough I'd replace that instead of cleaning them.

Yep That is right, might even be a bad fuel line so replacing it would take out two possible troubles. Plug won't likely go bad that quick if you had good fire before. Ed

/ I hate small engines that have sat not used. #4  
My Mantis tiller sat too long in a hot metal (garden tool storage?) building. A week or so ago a former neighbor asked about it. So I got it out, put gas in it, and got it running more easily than I expected. I shut it down and went in the house for a few minutes, went back out, and could not get it to start again.:mad: Then I noticed that the primer bulb was cracked. So a few days later, I bought a new one and put it on. Still wouldn't go. So yesterday I bought a new spark plug. The original one had never been replaced. I've had the machine 9 years and it was a "re-conditioned" one when I bought it. But I decided to wait for cooler weather to work on it any more.:laughing:

/ I hate small engines that have sat not used.
I had already done some of the mentioned items, draining tank, filters and such. I knew all those where probable problems before even started working on it. I removed the plug and it was very black and sooty, suggesting to much fuel. I bought a new plug and another can of carb cleaner. Going to try the plug first. If that dont work, then i will take the carb apart again. Could be the float is still sticking allowing to much gas or possible a piece of trash in the needle and seat. Wont know until I tear it back down. I will say when I tore it down the first time, I had never seen as much gunk inside a carb as this one.

/ I hate small engines that have sat not used. #6  
I have had 3 Tecumseh engines that needed carb disassembly and cleaning every year since alcohol in gas arrived. Doesn't matter if left full or run dry.

The neighbor has a B&S engine wheeled string trimmer that always starts. Yesterday it was pulled from the shed after 2 years non-use. Tank was dry. Filled it, pushed the primer a few times, and it started 3rd or 4th pull. It is about 15-20 years old.

Bruce

/ I hate small engines that have sat not used. #7  
Just about every instance I find one of two things... the main jet is obstructed and/or rubber parts deteriorated...

My brother was having a fit with his Honda mower... it had not been used for 18 months and in storage since they moved... sure enough it was the carb jet...

Simple way I check is to see if it fires with a whiff of starting fluid...

/ I hate small engines that have sat not used. #8  
If you can get the engine model # off the casting, look up the carburetor part number. Non-oem replacement carburetors for Honda engines can be had on ebay and Amazon starting at less than $15. I just replaced the carburetor on my Honda-engine Craftsman push mower. After I figured out the cut-off switch on the throttle linkage was stuck, it started on the next pull and purrs like a kitten.

If it saves me from having to pull the carburetor more than once it's worth the $20 or less.

/ I hate small engines that have sat not used. #9  
Cant really blame anyone other than myself. When I got out of the landscaping business about 15 years ago. I left a lot of my equipment sit around rusting. Since I have stopped working, I started dragging some of that equipment out of the weeds and seeing if I can get it running again. Cant sell a rusty hunk of junk. Anyways, I own a aerovator with a 11hp honda. I kept it becasue I like to use it on my own lawn every now and then. It hadnt been cranked in at least 5 or 6 years, but it was in the dry. Took the fel and hauled it to the shop. I decided to take the bowl off the carb before trying to start. Well almost had to pry it off. Full of varnish. UHoh, went ahead and took carb off and disassembled for good cleaning. Everything was stuck, choke, throttle, if it was supposed to move, it was stuck. Spent some time with my pocket knife just scraping the gunk out of the carb. Then a good while with carb cleaner and tooth brush. Took some pbnutblaster and sprayed all the moving parts and got everything working, so I thought. Put carb back on motor and wouldnt fire. Checked for spark and had plenty. Sprayed either and would crank, but wouldnt run. Took carb off again for another look. Not sure what the part is called, but the little jet that actually sprays the gas inside the carb was clogged tighter than dicks hatband. It had a slot for a screw driver to remove, but it wasnt going to budge. while I sat there trying to figure how to get the jet out, I thought about my torch tip cleaner. They are just little drill bits and surely one of them would work to run thru the jet. I started tiny until I could feel the bit scraping metal and kept spraying with carb cleaner.until I had a big stream passing thru the jet. Put the carb back together, squirt of either and motor fired right up. Ran good too, for a few minutes and then started sputtering. Might be a piece of trash still in the carb, but I ma betting spark plug. Going to replace plug tomorrow and if that dont help I guess it tear apart the carb again.

I'd check the fuel line and look for gunk in the tank. This ethanol BS just isn't good for small engines and it will usually fubar the fuel line after a while. I just went through what you have with the carb on a tiller that I let set for only a year or so. Had to clean out the bowl and jet but after I was done it fired right up. This time I drained the fuel and ran it dry before I put it away.

/ I hate small engines that have sat not used.
I replaced the spark plug and engine fired on second pull, been using it for the last hour or so and never missed a lick. I knew the carb was going to be gummed up which is why I started there before trying to crank it. I dont how a plug can just quit working after setting for a long time, but I have found several small engines lately, all of which have seen little use the last few years, and a spark plug has fixed every one of them.