Battery Exploded...Video / Photos

/ Battery Exploded...Video / Photos #1  

davemhughes

Silver Member
Tractor
SAME 40hp turbo charged 4cyl diesel w/fel
Well my 35hp turbo SAME ran fine yesterday. It started a little a slow...like battery was under charged but it had been a couple of weeks since I last ran it. I parked it as under the machine shed area. Then I noticed later in the day I was getting a bad right rear flat so I went to start it and the when I turned the key it just went click click click....like battery was dead.

Hooked up the smart charger over night and went out this morning and turned the key and BOOM!!!!! I think I have some other than just a bad battery, something maybe in the charging system.

Photos and video below

2006 35hp Turbo Diesel SAME (Duetz)

700hrs....no real issues other that the key ignition switch recently stopped killing the engine when turned off. Starts fine but continues to run when turned off.....kill it by lugging it down in high gear.

Tractor.jpg

tractor_battery.jpg

tractor_fuse.jpg

tractor_battery1.jpg

src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/khDa6wmNyeM"

Attachments

• tractr.jpg
    tractr.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 155
   / Battery Exploded...Video / Photos #2  
What probably happened is that you have a bad cell in the battery, which caused the slow starting and eventually discharged it. When charging, it wouldn't get to the proper voltage so it overcharged, venting off Hydrogen gas, which ignited when you activated the starter, causing a spark that backfed into the boiling cell, which would appear to be #3 or 4.
A new battery after a washdown of the area with baking soda and water should cure the problem, don't see any system problems indicated.

/ Battery Exploded...Video / Photos #3  
Good Afternoon Dave,
It kind of sounds like the selenoid is trying to engage when you were pushing that fuse in. Definitely some electrical issues.
I don't have an answer on that problem, but I would suggest that you neutralize any areas that may have gotten covered with battery acid !

scotty

/ Battery Exploded...Video / Photos
Thank you, I washed the whole engine compartment as well as the front of the tractor to get the battery acid removed. Talk about a surprise....almost dove for cover when it went off :shocked:

I kind of thought I had a bad cell on the battery afterward but perplexed as to the other items noted in the video. As much as I hate to have to do it, I might have to take it to the dealer....painful $$ so i would like to try to solve this. :confused3: I don't want to drop a new battery in until I hve sorted out those items as I am concerned something caused the bad cell given what happen to the antigravity jump pack

/ Battery Exploded...Video / Photos #5  
Have you checked the alternator output? It possible the voltage regulator is bad and it's pumping 40+ volts into the battery and charge pack.

/ Battery Exploded...Video / Photos
No , very good thought.

/ Battery Exploded...Video / Photos #7  
I had a battery explode on me... my clothes were in tatters in a few minutes... lucky I had just turned to no acid in the eyes... my hearing was impaired for awhile from the sound.

This is when I learned to always check the old style batteries to make sure the area about the plates is all liquid and to add distilled water if not.

If there is no room for gas in the battery there will not be any...

/ Battery Exploded...Video / Photos #8  
What probably happened is that you have a bad cell in the battery, which caused the slow starting and eventually discharged it. When charging, it wouldn't get to the proper voltage so it overcharged, venting off Hydrogen gas, which ignited when you activated the starter, causing a spark that backfed into the boiling cell, which would appear to be #3 or 4.
A new battery after a washdown of the area with baking soda and water should cure the problem, don't see any system problems indicated.

This is exactly what happened. I had it happen to me.

/ Battery Exploded...Video / Photos #9  
I had a battery explode on me... my clothes were in tatters in a few minutes... lucky I had just turned to no acid in the eyes... my hearing was impaired for awhile from the sound.

This is when I learned to always check the old style batteries to make sure the area about the plates is all liquid and to add distilled water if not.

If there is no room for gas in the battery there will not be any...
That's scary! Probably a good lesson for wearing safety glasses even when you are not thinking you need them around the shop and such.

/ Battery Exploded...Video / Photos #10  
Yep... I was 12 and connecting a battery charger to a 1970 Caprice.

People came out to see what had happened... it was loud and shards flew.

Part of the reason to make the last connection to ground not on the battery but a distance away.