MF135 diesel died / no start

/ MF135 diesel died / no start #1  

lugnut1009

Bronze Member
Tractor
1973 Massey Ferguson 135 Diesel
I haven't been on here in a long time guys, but I need some help. My tractor was running great as always, I had been bush hogging for a couple hours and it just turned off like it ran out of fuel. But still had about a half a tank. So my thought was the lift pump had failed. I took it apart today and it looks like new on the inside, and manually pumped it works.

One thing I did notice, my injector pump is leaking a little worse than normal now. Is there a good way to test the injector pump? I've seen rebuild kits with soft parts, is this a viable solution? Could I have just blown a seal and gotten air in the system?

Thanks in advance guys.

/ MF135 diesel died / no start #2  
I haven't been on here in a long time guys, but I need some help. My tractor was running great as always, I had been bush hogging for a couple hours and it just turned off like it ran out of fuel. But still had about a half a tank. So my thought was the lift pump had failed. I took it apart today and it looks like new on the inside, and manually pumped it works.

One thing I did notice, my injector pump is leaking a little worse than normal now. Is there a good way to test the injector pump? I've seen rebuild kits with soft parts, is this a viable solution? Could I have just blown a seal and gotten air in the system?

Thanks in advance guys.

Since diesels are shut down by cutting off the fuel, I'd start by making sure the fuel delivery to the pump was good. There is a strainer in the tank out that can clog, the fuel line to the filter head can clog or be pinched, the fuel filter head above the filter can clog and then there is the filter itself that can clog. You get the picture. If your lift and the pump is just ahead of the injector pump and you are sure it's OK (3-5 psi at the lift pump outlet), check to see if there is a screen in the inlet to the injector pump. If you eliminate these possibilities, there is only the possibility of an air leak in the system (open bleeder screw, loose fitting) or the injector pump has a problem.

/ MF135 diesel died / no start
Thanks for the reply Jerry. After some more investigation I think I'm going to rebuild my lift pump and my injector pump then go about bleeding the system and all from there. While looking for a lift pump I came across a kit to rebuild it and noticed mine was missing the strainer and a gasket, this makes me think someone has had this issue before and instead of correcting it they just threw away the strainer and got it going 'good enough'. I want it to be right! After learning how the injector pump works and the timing I feel comfortable that I can tear it down and replace all the soft parts. It's leaking bad anyway.

/ MF135 diesel died / no start #4  
My MF35 had the same problem. The vent in the fuel cap was stopped up. A new cap solved my problem. It would start back up after it sat awhile.

My MF35 had the same problem. The vent in the fuel cap was stopped up. A new cap solved my problem. It would start back up after it sat awhile.

Mine died and won't attempt to start. And it turns over very easy like it's not getting fuel

/ MF135 diesel died / no start #6  
G'day what are the fuel filters like? Also start at the tank and check the little strainer there as mentioned if your lift pump is moving fuel i.e squirting out the bleeder when you use the prime lever then it should be enough to start and run at least, you should have good flow into the lift pump with the fuel line off and tap on try these things first before you go rebuilding the pump. The top cover kit is not hard to fit to the inj pump there are a few good threads on here relating to this a leak from there is usually only messy and creates a hard start problem as it allows air into the system when stopped.

Jon

/ MF135 diesel died / no start #7  
I suggest to check for good fuel flow from tank to inj pump? Do you have a fuel inj pump tech manual? If not I'd recommend you acquire a TM before removing inj pump from tractor. Engine needs to be on TDC before removing IP.

I suggest to check for good fuel flow from tank to inj pump? Do you have a fuel inj pump tech manual? If not I'd recommend you acquire a TM before removing inj pump from tractor. Engine needs to be on TDC before removing IP.

Thanks

/ MF135 diesel died / no start #9  
yup.. fuel and air are what a diesel needs. diesels that stall while running usually tend to be a fuel issue.

yup.. fuel and air are what a diesel needs. diesels that stall while running usually tend to be a fuel issue.

That's why I'm just going to rebuild both pumps. Probably flush through my lines and replace filters at the same time.