Replacing the forward reverse shuttle in a montana 3040 and clutch

/ Replacing the forward reverse shuttle in a montana 3040 and clutch #21  
Oooops, I just discovered three more parts I need so now it will be next week before I try it.I am not going to do this again so I will replace parts that otherwise I would re use.

/ Replacing the forward reverse shuttle in a montana 3040 and clutch
12472497_1354571997889507_1783582702018566172_n.jpgUntitled.jpg15.jpgIMAG0507[1].jpg 20.jpg
I have received all my trans parts from ITP in New York, man they are quick and will attempt to read this strange $75.00 downloaded service manual.

Hopefully you link to this message I cant upload photos in private message.....
looks like you have a swanky shop to repair in too....LOL....far better than the humble shop i was in.

View attachment 509877View attachment 509878View attachment 509879
I have received all my trans parts from ITP in New York, man they are quick and will attempt to read this strange $75.00 downloaded service manual.

ok bones can you upload a face shot of the final drive.......Please.
there is one section where a gear (I assume it it was like mine has slipped out of the clutch plates) it way deep in the rear trans....you may be able to see it
since your top plate is off the rear section....this is the pto drive shaft it stabs into some clutch plates.
upload a photo so I can illustrate what to do with it.

IMAG0510[1].jpgIMAG0514[1].jpg 2.jpgIMAG0514[1].jpg 100.jpg

/ Replacing the forward reverse shuttle in a montana 3040 and clutch #24  
make sure when the units come apart go very slowly because the shiftier fork will hang up and the over shift couplet will fall out ((make sure)) you check orientation or premark with a black felt marker prior to disassembly for orientation. front ///back is all you worry about. 1/2 of the reverse gear is on the front shuttle and the other 1/2 of the reverse gear stays with the back tranny.The over shiftier is the only thing that couples them at full assembly. ((this has to be right at assembly)) Mine fell apart before I could mark anything but I don't see and front/back side to this overshift couplet. Here is a pto pic. I'll get better ones tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMAG0508.jpg
    IMAG0508.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 98
make sure when the units come apart go very slowly because the shiftier fork will hang up and the over shift couplet will fall out ((make sure)) you check orientation or premark with a black felt marker prior to disassembly for orientation. front ///back is all you worry about. 1/2 of the reverse gear is on the front shuttle and the other 1/2 of the reverse gear stays with the back tranny.The over shiftier is the only thing that couples them at full assembly. ((this has to be right at assembly)) Mine fell apart before I could mark anything but I don't see and front/back side to this overshift couplet. Here is a pto pic. I'll get better ones tomorrow.

aaaa this is the PTO drive housing in the final rear pumpkin.....Your gear "did" slip out of the clutches....its kind of a bear to slip that back into place and line up all the clutch plates but it must be done before reassembly. this gear slips (like a automatic thru multi clutches then seats very solid it will no longer rock around) if its rocking around it has not made it past all the clutch packs.

aaaa this is the PTO drive housing in the final rear pumpkin.....Your gear "did" slip out of the clutches....its kind of a bear to slip that back into place and line up all the clutch plates but it must be done before reassembly. this gear slips (like a automatic thru multi clutches then seats very solid it will no longer rock around) if its rocking around it has not made it past all the clutch packs.

this gear is the worst of the worst....make sure this is seated completely I had one guy mashed the last of 6 clutches now his pto is running all the time.
use a small srewdriver in the clutch packs to reline up all the teeth and the North south east west centering before you reinsert this gear into the clutch packs
rock it around until; it quits rocking and feels solid. its ready to remarry transmissions

IMG_2051.JPG

the cabin is doing well......still have some siding to do. Im doing finishing touches on flooring and toilet/shower/2 sinks today. its next to livable...but not quite yet.

/ Replacing the forward reverse shuttle in a montana 3040 and clutch #28  
Very nice and looks close to finished. I envy you having a cabin. But I am working on getting something in southern VA/NC border.Gotta get out of Maryland and head south. It's about 95 degrees here today.

/ Replacing the forward reverse shuttle in a montana 3040 and clutch #29  
IMAG0562[1].jpg

IMAG0563[1].jpg

IMAG0564[1].jpg

Just wondering if the syncro in the pics is in the correct orientation

This is question#1.And I still don't see a front or rear to the ring in the bottom picture.The manual and I believe you mentioned, refers to checking the orientation of what I assume to be this ring but I see no difference.

Last edited:
   / Replacing the forward reverse shuttle in a montana 3040 and clutch #30  
IMAG0548[1].jpg
It looks like these 3 small keys line up with the 3 slots in the brass syncro ring with the flat short b ump surface up or facing out. I think that makes sense.Not with the indent facing in to the hub like this second picture. What I'm trying to say is that in this pic if you spin the syncro you will line up the three slots/ cutouts in the syncro with the three little keys single bump facing out and grease em up.
IMAG0549[1].jpg

In either case, the these keys fit each in the slot machined in the syncro to be correct. I think?. I think the ring will only go on with one of these options.