Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics?

/ Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics? #1  

npalen

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B9200 HSTD and Mahindra 3015
Looking back at the metalworking machine tool industry over the last several decades, we've seen a lot of older machines retrofitted with new electronic control packages to give them new life. So I'm wondering if that might be the case with today's tractors with all the electronic controls that will eventually fail while the tractor's mechanical components may be in good shape.
Even WW2 vintage machine tools such as lathes and milling machines have been retrofitted with computer numerical controls. (CNC) Many early machines with tape readers rather than computers were upgraded with modern CNC controls.
So in the case of a tractor, or any ag machinery for that matter, it would be a matter of "gutting" the electronics and replacing with a completely new control system. These control systems would be supplied by after market companies specializing in retrofit systems.
Anyone else see this as a possible scenario?

/ Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics? #2  
Looking back at the metalworking machine tool industry over the last several decades, we've seen a lot of older machines retrofitted with new electronic control packages to give them new life. So I'm wondering if that might be the case with today's tractors with all the electronic controls that will eventually fail while the tractor's mechanical components may be in good shape.
Even WW2 vintage machine tools such as lathes and milling machines have been retrofitted with computer numerical controls. (CNC) Many early machines with tape readers rather than computers were upgraded with modern CNC controls.
So in the case of a tractor, or any ag machinery for that matter, it would be a matter of "gutting" the electronics and replacing with a completely new control system. These control systems would be supplied by after market companies specializing in retrofit systems.
Anyone else see this as a possible scenario?

Maybe for large farm machinery or construction machinery, but probably not for smaller compact tractors.

/ Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics?
So what will an owner do when the tractor dies because of a proprietary electronic component that is no longer available? It seems that with all the emission mandates the electronics will increase in complexity as time goes on. Just asking.

/ Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics? #4  
I know I'll be hopeless when the electronics on my Grand L fail. I better trade it before that happens. The old tractors are easy to keep going.

/ Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics? #5  
I'd really like someone to invent an aftermarket kit to upgrade the hst to the hstplus, where the throttle automatically works with the foot-pedal. I don't think that would be very hard to do.

/ Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics? #6  
It seems to me that the CNC analogy is the opposite of what is happening with tractors.
An older machine tool updated with CNC controls enables the machine to do things it could not do before. If done properly it does not interfere with the original function of the machine.
The electronics added to tractors essentially prevent them from doing things that older tractors did, and when the electronics fail the tractor becomes completely useless.

/ Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics? #7  
Sure.
You can start small like adding LED idiot lights for oil pressure, battery, etc. I did this for my 1964 MF 135 diesel.
Also retrofitted LED work lights are getting to be very common.

/ Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics? #8  
I think your analogy in the OP directly correlates to tractors and is definitely happening already. Lots of older ag tractors have been updated with GPS guidance systems. That's pretty much the same as CNC on a mill or lathe.

As far as aftermarket support for proprietary electronics, I don't think that's very likely. If you're buying a doo-dad laden tractor that you don't plan on trading in, you might want to buy it from a manufacturer that you think will have parts in 20 years.

/ Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics? #9  
I'd really like someone to invent an aftermarket kit to upgrade the hst to the hstplus, where the throttle automatically works with the foot-pedal. I don't think that would be very hard to do.
The economy Kubota HSTs are mechanically controlled by the pedal. On HST+ it's servo controlled & the pedal is electronic. That retrofit to change it to servo control is doable, but would be expensive. HST+ is a 2 stage pump, HST is a 1 stage pump, so changing that wouldn't be economical by any stretch of the imagination.

/ Will Today's Tractors Be Retrofitted With Tomorrow's Electronics? #10  
I don't even use auto throttle. If you wanted that it would be far more economical to put a throttle pedal on the left side. HST+ is much better than a regular HST, but I don't like the auto throttle. And it doesn't work linear. You can't just hook a cable to the pedal.