$56.95 for a toolbox?

/ $56.95 for a toolbox? #1  

Big_A

Tractor
Kubota L4300 DX
Like the rookie tractor operator I am, I left the top to the underseat tool box open on my Kubota L4300. I'm a fairly large man and so when I sat on the seat...crunch! I didn't even know I did it.

Anywho, I called my dealer for a new one and he said "That'll be $56.95 plus freight and tax." Jeesh, this thing is made of thin sheet metal and can't cost them more then $5 to make.

Dumb mistakes can sure be expensive.

/ $56.95 for a toolbox? #2  
Big_A . . . for future reference, when you post something like this, you might want to start out the post with:

"well it didn't happen to me, but my neighbor did . . . "

That way we all know that it wasn't REALLY you, it was that other guy. And by the way, we all do things like this. Hopefully only ONE time.

/ $56.95 for a toolbox? #3  
Any chance you can replace the box with something else that's cheaper and probably better?

/ $56.95 for a toolbox?
Hey mahlers, I was thinking the same thing. A quick trip to Northern and I may come back with a better item.

Hey Bob, did I say that was me? I meant "This guy at work"...yeah...that's the ticket! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ $56.95 for a toolbox? #5  
well i dont know what exactly the box looks like, but can you unbolt it and take it out and spend some time with a hammer and some blocks of steel and flatten it out? might not come out perfect but would be functional. last year at work i was working on a machine and had the 3/8 socket set sitting on the floor, its in a metal box about 3 x 5 x 16 inches, well somehow it got bumped under the forklift and when i backed up the front tire of the forklift flattened it down to about a 1/4 inch tall on one end! i figured the box was done for and we would just buy another case for the socket set but on of the other guys took and hammered the thing back into shape so well ya can hardly tell it was crushed. if its metal, i would try and straighten it before i replaced it

/ $56.95 for a toolbox? #6  
<font color="blue"> can't cost them more then $5 to make </font>
On the surface, this often appears to be true. But working for a company that does manufacturing, I can tell you it cost far more than you would guess. Here is a typical scenario;
An order is received for a widget
Accounting records the order,
Production dept generates work orders to build the widget,
Purchasing dept orders the materials,
Scheduling dept generates scheduling for manufacturing,
Materials are received and inspected by incoming QC,
Metal shop fabricates the part,
QC inspection if necessary,
Paint shop paints the part,
QC final inspection,
Part is received and stocked in warehouse,
Part is pulled from warehouse for shipment,
Shipping dept packages the widget,
Accounting invoices the customer.
Cost of part is a little material, a lot of labor, and (hopefully) some profit (unless there were some screwups along the way)
And heaven help you if there is a drawing error. Then you move into engineering change order h*ll.
In the "good ol days" I could walk out to the shop with a sketch on a piece of paper and have a part in a couple hours with just 2 people involved, me and the fabricator. Now there is a procedure and paperwork for everything.

/ $56.95 for a toolbox? #7  
If I can get off for under a hundred, I'm usually relived. I give myself a few a year. Heck, I should budget for them! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ $56.95 for a toolbox? #8  
I found a dandy little under-pickup seat craftsman toolbox at Sears- made from all-weather plastic, good catches, just the right size for some tools, and looks like it will last forever- $10. Seems to be waterproof, which is good. Pics if anyone wants them.

/ $56.95 for a toolbox?
Well I was able to do as Mark said. I took it off and with a few well placed blows with a hammer and a block of wood, I was able to get it back to functional. Ain't perfect but the only time I'll see it is when I need another of those cheap lynch pins. You know, the ones that have the round wire on the top and pinch your fingers everytime you try to use them? Thanks again.

/ $56.95 for a toolbox? #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Pics if anyone wants them.)</font>

ALWAYS!!!!! G