Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On

/ Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On #11  
Is there room for a small u-bolt on the end of the spindle. I have seen people use hose clamps to brace the clip. Not sure how well it worked. Drilling a hole in something round that you cannot get in a drill press can be a challenge, especially to get started.

/ Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On #12  
Some can only be set by bending...

It can't be too robust otherwise it would not be bent now.

Just make sure all the linkages are in place...

I loaned by 6 hour mower to my brother as I really didn't have use for it... got it right.

They have run the bejesus out of it and I noticed the steering was off and found a bent linkage... heated it up and bent it where I thought it should be... so far so good.

As for my tractor... guess I made a gift to them as not sure I want it back... that said... it has cut through 3' tall grass in 10" swaths and when he told me it was not running right I found grass blocking air flow...

/ Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On #13  
Is there room for a small u-bolt on the end of the spindle. I have seen people use hose clamps to brace the clip. Not sure how well it worked. Drilling a hole in something round that you cannot get in a drill press can be a challenge, especially to get started.

As I said, grind a flat spot at the groove, center punch and have at it.

/ Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On #14  
Still would need to improve tracking/alignment if it is anything like the picture posted.

/ Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On #15  
I have been helping a lady friend of mine with her 2014 Craftsman mower which I notice has same issue (toe out). She has used unit very little and front tires are badly worn. After meticulous analysis, I have determined there is a manufacturing issue with these units that I suspect Sears is aware of. It's so sad to see my 1973 MF14 that I have had since a kid puts these to shame--never touched anything on this unit aside from belts, batteries, etc. What a disgrace to see the inferiority of products produced nowadays! The e-clip came off wheel as well on this unit causing wheel to fall off from forces pulling due to toe out issue. Using a vise-grip to presently keep wheel on temporarily. If you turn hard to right or left, the wheel on that turn goes completely sideways (both wheels do it). Grrrr!

Attachments

• Melody2014SearsTractorSteeringIssue944.604410.jpg
    Melody2014SearsTractorSteeringIssue944.604410.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 73
  • 20200516_181208-min.jpg
    20200516_181208-min.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 69
   / Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On #16  
Welcome to TBN. Yeah, I have to say that the axles are a sore spot on the Husqvarna riders. The cast axles will tweak and wear. As they cant rearward, it affects the toe. They will break the wheel hub out as well. It sounds like there may be other things happening on this one too. The correct repair of a new axle gets you most of the way there, but they also wear in the frame pocket. On some I re-drill the mounting hole on the spindle for the drag link to draw the wheel inward. I've not ever done one with the tight turn steering though, but maybe something could be done there as well.

/ Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On #17  
That bent bar isn't your problem. That would just impact the position of the steering wheel when going straight. I deal with toe out you need to adjust the rod between the wheels. If you can remove that rod then maybe you could add a way to make it adjustable. Chances are the bracket that the rod mounts to is bent.

As for the retainer clip, the best way would be like other said, drill a hole and tap it for a bolt and washer.

/ Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On #18  
I assume that one has linkage to each tire independently? Or is there a crossover bar between the two front wheels?
If there's linkage to each tire independently, you will need to bend one of them, you should be able to unbolt it and stick the end in a receiver hitch on a truck or something similarly stout and add or remove to the bend.

Aaron Z

/ Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On #19  
The toe out issue can be caused by wear in the sector gear and bushings, the long and short drag links to each wheel can wear or get bent.. The wheel spindles themselves can be worn or bent, the triangle pieces between the two drag links to each wheel can also get worn or bent. the axle pivot at the center and the associated frame can get worn allowing lateral movement in the axle, and finally the frame can also get bent.

The issue can be caused by one or all of the above at once. And this steering fiasco is all due to people wanting a shorter turning radius for their riding mower. If you want a 12" turning radius this is the result. And then throw in the fact that people don't want to pay more for their new mower than they did 5 years ago.

/ Craftsman Tire Won't Stay On #20  
If you need an adjustable link a turnbuckle would work. Weld the turnbuckle bolts to the link (be sure to add a lock nut to the turnbuckle bolt to hold the setting).