Tractor dies intermittantly

/ Tractor dies intermittantly #1  

davemhughes

Silver Member
Tractor
SAME 40hp turbo charged 4cyl diesel w/fel
So its a 40hp turbo SAME. Recently had VR/Alternator issue that with the good help of the forum was able to get sorted and repaired. Well now the thing has suddenly developed an issue where it just sudden dies like the fuel has been shut off. No rhyme or reason. It could do it once the first 5 seconds or 10 times and then run for 5 hours under heavy load with no problem. Sometimes I go out and it runs great and others like tonight it dies 10 times.

I replaced the fuel pump last year, I cleaned the fuel filter at that time. Will water in the system do this?? I posted a short video of what its doing.

/ Tractor dies intermittantly #2  
So its a 40hp turbo SAME. Recently had VR/Alternator issue that with the good help of the forum was able to get sorted and repaired. Well now the thing has suddenly developed an issue where it just sudden dies like the fuel has been shut off. No rhyme or reason. It could do it once the first 5 seconds or 10 times and then run for 5 hours under heavy load with no problem. Sometimes I go out and it runs great and others like tonight it dies 10 times.

I replaced the fuel pump last year, I cleaned the fuel filter at that time. Will water in the system do this?? I posted a short video of what its doing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BgahHsQ6V0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Have you checked for loose connections on any/all the safety switches etc...?

/ Tractor dies intermittantly
I thought i checked all that I could find but I certainly can check again. Do not want to have to haul it to the dealer but this thing is starting to frustrate me.

/ Tractor dies intermittantly #4  
Floating debris in the fuel tank is a favorite answer on TBN for those symptoms. :confused3:

/ Tractor dies intermittantly #5  
The SAME ( Hurliman 435 branded) that I have Does the same thing!
'Just shuts it's self off and sometimes doesn't want to restart. There was another TBN member who posted a similar issue some time back.

In my case, I can hear the fuel shut off valve "clunk" open when it's ready to restart. I have never had the issue starting from cold at the beginning of a use session.

With only those few symptoms, I believe there is a problem with the Engine Stop Solenoid Control Unit. A "black box" that controls the fuel shut off solenoid, and resides under the steering wheel cowl on the station side of the firewall.

The Hurlimann is fitted with a Mitsubishi engine. If you have the Deutz engine, the unit may be called something else.

I once put in some effort to try to get one of these units from a site supporter who seems well connected with Mitsubishi tractors, but not so much the SAME. At the time I wasn't "willing" to pull the cowl to get a picture of the unit to accurately describe it for possible replacement. I'll pick it up again if the problem gets to be too great an aggravation.
Like your tractor. Sometimes it's a few minutes, but more often it shuts down once every few hours.

"The Dealer" is at least 3 hours from where I am, at least I haven't found one closer. And so far, I wouldn't throw $100 bills at anyone I've talked with trying to get a straight answer on this problem based on knowledge.

Do me a favor. When the engine dies, Listen for the fuel shut off solenoid opening again. And then try to start the engine. If it starts right up, our issues have very similar signs and symptoms. It would be difficult to hear the solenoid over the sounds of a cranking starter.

It would be fun to figure this out. There are three tractors with the problem for sure....

ETA

One other symptom in the case of my Hurlimann, There are times when the shut off will NOT activate when turning the key switch to the off position. This happens rarely, but enough so I've got the location of the mechanical shut off lever on the pump down well enough to find it in the dark. ;-)

Second edit

After a search, I note that you had posted this problem in 2015. So it's the same SAME ;-)

Only two tractors with the issue, not three..... ;-)

Last edited:
   / Tractor dies intermittantly #6  
Why not take the hot wire off the fuel solenoid, and run a hot wire from the batt directly to it, to see if it still shuts off?

Is it REALLY a Deutz or is it an air cooled SLH diesel??

SR

/ Tractor dies intermittantly #7  
I had an intermittent shut down fault for a while. It would eventually fire back up and go for hours... or quit again 30 minutes later. I checked everything, including the interlocks, and changed the fuel filter (oil & filter too, whilst I was at it).

Then I remembered something I'd read here on TBN... the fuel cap.

Sure enough, I'd been tightening the cap down too much after fuelling (don't know my own strength :laughing:). I backed it off a wee bit and I haven't had the shut-own problem ever since.

Yes it is a Mits 1.5L engine in it.

I can also hear the engine stop solenoid. But it doesn't start right back up after it dies, have to crank on it or let it sit a little.

I tried the vent cap as that was one of my first thoughts that pressure in the tank was not letting fuel flow.

Previously I thought what I posted was the tractor would not shut off with the key and I would have to lug it down to kill it but that was fixed with the new VR/Alternator I put on. But mybe I am wrong it was, just don't remember.....getting older :confused:

Indeed it was you are correct.

I put the new universal pump on it seemed to fix it. Then i had the issue where it would not shut off with the key. Changed the VR and now it is back to doing this.

The fuel shut off solenoid and engine management is what i plan to research tonight.