JD 301 3pt suddenly stopped working.

/ JD 301 3pt suddenly stopped working. #1  

jcharley

Tractor
71 John Deere 301 (gasser)
Good morning. This is my 1st post and I am new to tractors. I recently purchased a 70s JD 301. Has been working really well until yesterday. I'm a decent home mechanic and am mechanically inclined.

My issue is I was running my tractor yesterday and had been cutting some brush. I went to raise the 3pt and it raised about half way then just cut out. It wouldn't raise or lower. Also the control lever and the load selector lever now have no resistance. They just kinda fall if that makes any sense. The brakes and power steering still work properly.

I fiddled with it a little last night and the only way I was able to get it to lower was to remove what I believe was the thermal relief valve. Located on the left side of the rockguard just under the seat.

I'm just hoping for an idea of where I should start checking. I have purchased a pdf of the service manual.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
Jeff

/ JD 301 3pt suddenly stopped working. #2  
Welcome to TBN
My guess is cam(key 15) or spring(key 18) broke on L/D mechanism. You might could look in hyd filler hole behind seat to locate the problem

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    32.4 KB · Views: 46
   / JD 301 3pt suddenly stopped working.
Thank you for the quick reply. The spring was the only common fault in the rockshaft trouble shooting for failure to raise and lower so thats what I was hoping to hear. I'll look into it this evening and get back with what I find. Thanks again.

So it ended up being this spring had come off parts key 9 and an e clip came off parts key 13.

My question now is what is recommended for the gasket ti put the rockshaft back on. Buy another paper gasket or is it better to use gasket maker. Doesn't seem like a high pressure leak area so I'm leaning towards factory paper gasket.
Thoughts and recommendations.
Thanks again,
Jeff

Attachments

• 2016-10-21 18.17.12.jpg
    2016-10-21 18.17.12.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 47
   / JD 301 3pt suddenly stopped working. #5  
In addition to paper gasket you'll also need quad ring(key 6) outlined in blue. Quad ring(key 6) seals high pressure galley that supplies oil to RS housing.
T17882 Washer - RING,SEALING ADD 1.56 USD
T21641 Gasket - GASKET ADD 16.02 USD

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    98 KB · Views: 57
Thank you for all of your help. That fixed it. Was a good time to change the fluid as well!

Thanks again,
Jeff

/ JD 301 3pt suddenly stopped working. #7  
You're welcome. I'm glad I could assist you. Thanks for the update.
Jim