Star head screws

/ Star head screws #51  
The Torx heads are great for automated machinery. Hex heads are awful. That is the main reason that Torx heads are being used in automobile assembly.

I have always sworn at Robertson heads. It seems that I strip a lot more of those than that Torx.

Are you sure you are using the original Robertson or the American copy that looks the same but isn't?

[video]http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/step6/Square-Drive/[/video]

/ Star head screws #52  
Are you sure you are using the original Robertson or the American copy that looks the same but isn't?

I hear you, Egon, original have deeper holes and even a tapered bottom while the cheap 'offshore' copies are shallow.
Also the 'offshore' copies are so soft that the square hole soon becomes round.
A real quality Robertson can actually be held on the driver bit at even less than level to ground.

/ Star head screws #53  

[video]http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/step6/Square-Drive/[/video]

Not sure. I bought them at Home Depot in Windsor, Ont when I lived there.

/ Star head screws #54  
I noticed another screw head not on the chart. It is called double-square. I ran into them when I had to replace an aluminum panel on a Haulmark trailer. You can get eight point driver bits but a regular square bit fits too.

image-3990629788.jpg

/ Star head screws #56  
This has become my favorite website.

Where else can you get 55 posts on something as riviting as screws?

Gotta love it,and thanks

/ Star head screws #57  
As riveting as screws?

As screwy as screws!

Bruce

/ Star head screws
Xfaxman,
Thanks for the size chart.

/ Star head screws
I'd recommend marking "BOTTOM" (or, "OPEN FROM OTHER SIDE") on the bottom! :D I care more about being wrong (if you're going to help steer someone sometimes the best is to tell them WHAT to avoid :D)

Good idea!