Burnt L4150

/ Burnt L4150 #1  

jterpack

Tractor
Kubota L4150
I have been given a 1990 L4150 with a BF900 loader. the only problem is it was burnt in a fire. The fire started under the dash and spread throughout the entire unit. The tires did not totally burn but the battery and all wiring did. Also the aluninum parts on the engine, including the alternator melted. Does anyone have any experience trying to rebuild something like this? Am I wasting my time. The loader is in great shape.

/ Burnt L4150 #2  
Good question. In short I would say yeah, I think so. It's going to take some checking to get the parts nailed down. I wonder if a place like tractorsmart could help?

/ Burnt L4150 #3  
Get your part assemblies for a salvage yard if possible. Here is one that deals in compacts. West Kentucky Tractor Parts It will save you very large amounts of money and time.

/ Burnt L4150 #4  
What more could you ask for for nothing. All you need is all the parts that melted down. That is pretty cheap if you ask me. I resurrected a 1988 GMC S-10 back in 1990 that had an under the hood fire. All the damage was confined to that area. It took some time and a little cash. But it was well worth the effort.

/ Burnt L4150 #5  
A long time ago when I was in college, I had done a lot of rebuilding of cars that were in fires and learned a lot about what works and what doesn't. Don't waste a lot of time trying to paint the sheet metal, because for some unknown reason, paint usually doesn't stick to the metal once it is in a fire. I would sandblast the sheet metal and use a etching primer on it. Then top coat and hope that the paint stays for a while. If it bubbles and lifts, then consider finding a replacement panel. The engine is usually not damaged, however all the accessories will have to be replaced. Plug all the holes and then power wash the engine with water only. If you need to degrease it, then use Arm & Hammer washing soda and dish washing liquid. Let the engine block get a surface coat of rust on it and then steel wool to clean. Brush or spray on engine paint and it should stick well. All the rest is just replacement of damaged parts and wiring. I prefer to buy new wiring whenever possible or if there is enough of the old, then you can carefully reconstruct the damaged parts. Usually buying new is easier and faster. Be careful reusing any old hardware that might have been heated. New hardware is cheap and don't forget to use never seize on all threads. It is a dirty job, but not a difficult one. Patience is what is needed and a lot of pictures to show how everything goes back together. I had only done one tractor and that was back in 1964, so I don't remember much about it.