Rust in compressor tank

/ Rust in compressor tank #1  

stuckmotor

Tractor
AC WD 34 hp/3500 lbs MF 261 60 hp/5380 lbs
I'm getting rusty water when I drain the tank on my air compressor. Should I toss it and buy a new unit?

/ Rust in compressor tank #2  
I have never seen anything other than rusty water in a compressor tank. I'm guessing they are unpainted and untreated inside. Makes you wonder why they wouldn't coat them.

/ Rust in compressor tank
This compressor is only a few years old. The water ran clear for the first couple now it's giving me cause for concern. Perhaps a better question would be if the tank fails will it shoot across the room or just spray water out of the rupture.

/ Rust in compressor tank #4  
It will just hiss, at least my pancake tank did.

I can live with a hiss, even a rusty one. Here's my next rewording of my question, does anyone know of person or property being injured by a ruptire of an air tank CAUSED BY RUST?

/ Rust in compressor tank #7  
I have seen many tanks start to leak but never do more than loose air slowly. Ed

/ Rust in compressor tank #9  
Was the explosion caused by rust?

What actually caused the failure really cannot be determined by that video. The uploader says it was rust, but that might not be the case.

It could have been that the regulator failed and over-pressurized the tank. Looks like the seams failed, and there is a lot of rust inside. Did it fail from rust while in normal use? Or was it over-pressurized? No way to know.

The narration is at the first, for the most part. The explosion happens at the one minute, thirty second mark, and there's nothing useful or interesting before that other than the uploaders opinion that the cause was rust. That's followed by another minute or so of people dancing around wondering what happened, and then at about two minutes, thirty seconds or so there are some pictures of the compressor which are of interest.

I don't get rusty water out of mine, and it's more than 20 years old. I get plenty of oily water, though.

This video is really interesting.

Why You Need to Drain Your Air Compressor - Vlog - YouTube

/ Rust in compressor tank #10  
The tank on my compressor has yielded rust colored water, since it was new in 1984.

I've worked around air compressors my whole life, and as Industrial Toys said, I never saw anything other than rust colored water coming out of one.

It's as common as black oil in a diesel.