Three ring binders for shop manuals

/ Three ring binders for shop manuals #1  

Captain Dirty

Platinum Member
Tractor
Goldoni 600, Kubota L45
Just received the workshop manual for my tractor, a 1.5" high stack of looseleaf sheets. What binders do you recommend?

I remember relatively thick (3/16"?) pasteboard front and back covers wrapped in canvas from Viet-Nam-era service. Some even had metal hinges! If used in the field the covers would soil easily, but they were relatively durable. Usually the failure was mis-alignment of the rings. Apparently canvas has gone the way of the dodo to be replaced by plastic over thinner pasteboard. Office Depot, Staples, et al offer a range of prices, and presumably the more expensive are "better", but I would hesitate to say any are "good"; the plastic that serves as hinges tears, and the rings still mis-align, although the slant "D" rings are an improvement. Buyers' guides and reviews seem oriented toward sales presentations, not field or even shop use.

I have photocopied the few pages of an often-used procedure such as disconnecting or reconnecting the backhoe, put them in document protectors and then 1/2" all-plastic binders (can't find any brand markings on the binders; Acco?). The plastic is relatively robust and wipes clean, but the 1/2" size is too small even for the operator's manual.

There seem to be two choices--buy cheap with the aggravation of replacing often, OR buy dear with the hope of replacing less frequently. Are there robust binders out there?

Captain Dirty

/ Three ring binders for shop manuals #2  
I use old binders from where I worked. We went through a LOT of training courses and about every course handed out reference materials in big binders. Often the type of binders with a plastic "pouch" on the front in which they slid the cover of the course/title of the training. Most every decent sized operation generates lot's of binders being thrown out, ask friends.

For the "special" stuff I place it in a ziploc bag, run duct tape across the "bottom" edge, punch 3 holes in it and put it in the binder.

/ Three ring binders for shop manuals #3  
I use Avery HD with "slant" D rings. The ring assembly mounts on the rear cover, instead of the middle/end cover. This makes it easier to lay it open and flip through the pages. It lays flat when open. You can buy in different thicknesses. 1" to 4" thick. A 1 1/2" holds about 400 pages.
I also buy them in green for my JD manuals.