Small metal piece fell into block heater hole

/ Small metal piece fell into block heater hole #1  

Becharpa

Tractor
Mahindra 2015HST
I was able to remove the freeze plug on my Mahindra 2015hst. However, upon moving my screwdriver back and forth a small piece of the tip fell into the hole? I'm going to try a small magnet but if I can"t get it out will it hurt anything whether I get it out or not? Also can I flush the radiator and run tractor will that move the piece out?

/ Small metal piece fell into block heater hole #2  
Probably stay down in the water jacket around the cyls and never cause you a problem... There are probably other slag type pieces in there that were left in after the block was machined. The blocks usually go thru a final washer and air blow off station, but no ' cavity search ' of any type to make sure they are squeaky clean... If you can fish it out, that's OK, too... If it wanders it will probably get stuck somewhere else in the coolant system...

/ Small metal piece fell into block heater hole #3  
With a 1" neo magnet where you know it's at it will hold it there forever until you pull off the magnet.

/ Small metal piece fell into block heater hole #4  
HF, HD and others sell a flex tool with a magnet on the end. It should easily fit in the freeze plug opening and go down far enough to grab the broken tip. I have one similar that is 24" long.

Attachments

• flex magnet.jpg
    flex magnet.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 78
   / Small metal piece fell into block heater hole #5  
Turn your tractor upside down and give it a good shake, should fall out.:rolleyes::p
You could also use a wet/dry vacuum with a small hose attached to it and try to suck it out.

/ Small metal piece fell into block heater hole #6  
Since Skyhook didn't offer to tell you the procedure I will fill you in. It would be difficult to just turn your tractor upside down and shake it out...jeez. .rather you have to use a pair of binoculars and tweezers. Turn the binoculars backwards and look through them. Then use the tweezers to pick the little tractor up, invert and then shake out the metal..your welcome.

/ Small metal piece fell into block heater hole #7  
I like the magnet idea. Also, you can find USB endoscopes on Amazon for less than $20.

/ Small metal piece fell into block heater hole #8  
Probably stay down in the water jacket around the cyls and never cause you a problem... There are probably other slag type pieces in there that were left in after the block was machined. The blocks usually go thru a final washer and air blow off station, but no ' cavity search ' of any type to make sure they are squeaky clean... If you can fish it out, that's OK, too... If it wanders it will probably get stuck somewhere else in the coolant system...

Second this....it will be one of many things in there.

/ Small metal piece fell into block heater hole #9  
HF, HD and others sell a flex tool with a magnet on the end. It should easily fit in the freeze plug opening and go down far enough to grab the broken tip. I have one similar that is 24" long.

I think this is a must have tool. I have the ridge extender one and I cant count the times it has saved mu butt from dropping stuff, including the toilet bowl when replacing a seat, or a locking nut down the carb on the garden tractor. Ill add the flexible one to my xmas list.

/ Small metal piece fell into block heater hole #10  

I think this is a must have tool. I have the extender tube one with the flexible tip and I cant count the times it has saved mu butt from dropping stuff, including the toilet bowl when replacing a seat, or a locking nut down the carb on the garden tractor. Ill add the flexible one to my Christmas list.