Schramm 300 pneumatic tractor

/ Schramm 300 pneumatic tractor #1  

Frank Surber

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 755c track Loader, John Deere 755bCase 431, Ford 2600, Taylor 25000lb forklift Ford 755 , Schramm 300 Pneumatractor, 8N Ford , Gravely 10A Kubota KH191, 1970 John Deere garden tractor with blade, 1985 John Deere 265 garden tractor Case 431
The same guy that I got my Ford 755 backhoe from gave me a Schramm 300 pneumatic tractor
it has a 4/71 Detroit engine with a 300 CFM compressor coupled to the engine. the tractor is propelled by a pump mounted on the front end of the Detroit.
I remember about 30 years ago it had a backhoe boom mounted on it with a large pneumatic hammer. Later on he sold the boom off of it and mounted the hammer on his excavator then just used the Schramm as an air compressor About 20 years ago he converted to using a 2000 lb hydraulic hammer and the old Schramm has been sitting ever since. Now that I finally have it moved to my place the other day I thought what the heck I might as well find out if it is locked up or not.
after checking all of the fluids I hooked a battery to it just to see if it would even turn over. It did but not enough battery to start it. I really didn't want to start it with out first making sure the fuel rack is functioning and the shut off. plus I want to drain the old diesel out and change the filter before I actually try to get it running anyway.
20161119_125354s.jpg

/ Schramm 300 pneumatic tractor #3  
The old hoe ram . Those are still in demand for breaking rock . The air powered hammer hits much better than the hydraulic ones .

/ Schramm 300 pneumatic tractor
It's a 1969 model

/ Schramm 300 pneumatic tractor #5  
Diesel itself does not go bad. It my have water and algae in it

/ Schramm 300 pneumatic tractor #6  
That's a neat piece! We have 2 Schramms, one pnuematractor and one tow behind. They are both gas engines and both 160CFM. Both run/work. Our tractor belonged to the U.S. Navy and still has the brass tag attached and also U.S.N. stamped in the tires.

Attachments

• IMG_5723.jpg
    IMG_5723.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_5727.jpg
    IMG_5727.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_5737.jpg
    IMG_5737.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 431
  • IMG_5742.jpg
    IMG_5742.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_5726.jpg
    IMG_5726.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_5725.jpg
    IMG_5725.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 188
Diesel itself does not go bad. It my have water and algae in it

I know, Now that we have just about completed our move hopefully I will set up my processor again I bought a 9 HP listoroid about 2 years ago that came with a re processor to make diesel out of used motor oil. it also came with 600 gallons of used oil. the guy I got all of that from had ran the listoriod on his home grown diesel for 10 years.
My 14 KW Kubota generator ran fine on a 50/50 mix of home grown diesel and the store bought kind. So any old diesel that I remove from machines that smell bad or has turned dark brown is saved to be run through the centrifuge and the processor old diesel really just needs spun through the centrifuge and the filters not the entire re- processing unit but it will get a better blend if I run it through 1 stage of the heating system.
But for now I will just drain and store the old diesel and clean out the fuel system before trying to get the old Schramm running

/ Schramm 300 pneumatic tractor #8  
That makes sense. I see the comments about old diesel on the Ford truck forum I belong to. A guy will buy a truck and think they got to get rid of the old diesel

The old hoe ram . Those are still in demand for breaking rock . The air powered hammer hits much better than the hydraulic ones .

I wanted it for the huge air compressor not having the hoe ram or boom any more is a little bit of a negative because that makes the old tractor incomplete from the aspect of originality, and they never were intended as any form of Agg use but if it does what I really want it to do which is to use as a means of blowing out my 60 ft deep water well that has silted in so bad it can only produce a couple gallons per minute, I'll be happy.
Depending on the out come of cleaning out the perforations plus loosening up the sand and gravel of the strata I might later build a telescoping and folding boom style derrick to assist in pulling wells up to 2 or 300 feet deep. The local well driller guy said that he would welcome having a machine he could rent for those times when he can't get his big rig in without a lot of work
Who knows there are a lot of possibilities for the old machine I can always use it to run my sand blaster and not have to rent a compressor.

That makes sense. I see the comments about old diesel on the Ford truck forum I belong to. A guy will buy a truck and think they got to get rid of the old diesel

Man I'll take all of the old diesel that anyone wants to throw away. A really good 1 HP centrifuge a triple filter system a tank that can be heated to 200°f and a couple of small pumps a few pipes, and fittings some chemicals and a storage tank and any old diesel with some used motor oil can be made to run in older mechanical engines But you wouldn't want to run it in the newer pretend diesel engines