Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump

/ Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump #1  

Lagonia

Tractor
Hinomoto N239D
I was wondering if any of you have bypassed the mechanical plunger type fuel pump for a universal, low PSI electric pump and if so, what did you go with? Thanx.

/ Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump #2  
I think it was a 6 psi variable and the 3 psi setting worked for the engine selected. I bought the variable as I didn't know what I needed for the engine and that gave me some options.

/ Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump #3  
I did that on my excavator. Used what ever they handed me over the counter at NAPA. No problems.

/ Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump #4  
My Branson 3510 uses a lift pump from tank to injector pump (low pressure) and the original pump stopped working.
I bought a Mr Gasket DIESEL pump at O'Rilley's and it is working fine.
Some pumps are rated for gas OR diesel only so be sure you get the right one.

/ Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump
Awesome! Thanks guys for your replies.

/ Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump #6  
Just a quick question to help out the OP, did you guys just bypass the old pump or tap ahead of it with the electric?

/ Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump #7  
Used to be a common upgrade to reduce vapour lock way back in the bad old days of carburators , mechanical fuel pumps and hot weather.

/ Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump #8  
Used to be a common upgrade to reduce vapour lock way back in the bad old days of carburators , mechanical fuel pumps and hot weather.

Your Canadian is showing. Grin. I had "vapor" lock coming home from vacation once on a very hot day with the family bus (tub) full to the brim and behind with vacation toys. It was the Chevy 409 (or 4 something) imitation woodie station wagon with a quadrajet and I wanted more fuel filter than the mickey mouse thing in the fuel inlet of the carb.

The tube between the fuel pump and carb was steel and I didn't want to break into that so I broke into the rubber fuel line from the tank about a foot in front of the pump. Worked ok until it got under a heavy load with weather really hot. First and last time I put a filter ahead of a fuel pump.

/ Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump #9  
Bypass the mechanical pump.
Hutch.

/ Electrical fuel pump en lieu of the plunger type mechanical pump #10  
It may also depend on what you are putting the pump on. I have a little 450 Bobcat skid steer I replaced the already existing electric pump on it. This was put on by the Rental company I bought it from. Being there was a decal on the roll cage, about turning the ignition on for a few seconds, before starting the machine, I assumed it was factory. Worked fine for a few weeks, then, when after about a 1/2 hour, it would quit running. Let it cool off, it would start & run fine for 20 minutes or so again. Thinking it was a bad/subpar pump, I got another. Same results.

Being I had to mount the pump in the engine compartment, the pump was getting so hot, the little oscillating piston was seizing up, and stop pumping fuel. After looking real close, and looking online abut that particular Kohler engine, I saw where it had a mechanical pump. I bit the bullet, bought a new mechanical pump, and it has been running fine for 5 years now.

Just saying if you are going with an electric pump, mount it, if you can, away from the heat of the engine.