De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics?

/ De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics? #1  

fidowanttobe

Platinum Member
Tractor
Jinma 284 2007 Massey Harris 44 Special
Need a professional opinion to alleviate my paranoia. Regardless of what the instructions say with my BatteryMinder Plus 1510, I am reluctant to leave the battery hooked to the vehicle when using it on something with a computer. It is the half of the AC surge that makes me nervous. Opinions?? Thanks. By the way, I have had great success with this charger on iffy batteries.

/ De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics? #2  
I use one on my truck all the time (1996 Tacoma with EFI). It's hooked up and running now and so far it has never damaged anything.
I connected a scope to it once and you can't really see anything but I know it's doing something because it has desulfated a couple of batteries for me. I think the low impedance of the battery soaks up the pulses. Mine is connected to two batteries in the truck which are connected in parallel with an isolator and it hasn't hurt the isolator either but it sure does keep the batteries topped up nicely.

/ De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics? #3  
I've had a desulfator connected to the batteries in my RV trailers continuously for years without issue. There are computer boards in the refer, heater, A/C etc. No problem.

/ De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics? #4  
Having an electronics background AND being basically "unlucky" I too would have had my reservations.

But, I guess the proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Now, maybe some desulphators (which I don't believe work for the intended purpose) are more aggressive than others. I don't know.

/ De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics? #5  
Having an electronics background AND being basically "unlucky" I too would have had my reservations.

But, I guess the proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Now, maybe some desulphators (which I don't believe work for the intended purpose) are more aggressive than others. I don't know.

Just so you know, I have a lifelong electronics background and found that desulfators do indeed work. However it does take some time for them to get the job done but eventually they can and will recover most sulphated batteries if they aren't too far gone. The more sulphated a battery is, the longer it takes but it's best not to abuse them in the first place. An ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure and all that stuff.

/ De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics? #6  
Need a professional opinion to alleviate my paranoia. Regardless of what the instructions say with my BatteryMinder Plus 1510, I am reluctant to leave the battery hooked to the vehicle when using it on something with a computer. It is the half of the AC surge that makes me nervous. Opinions?? Thanks. By the way, I have had great success with this charger on iffy batteries.

Yes, they are safe. I've had them slowly resurrect dead batteries and become new trolling motor batteries.

My favorite battery saver charger is the Optimate 6.

Pay attention to the difference between a cheap battery charger and the Optimate series which is now on its 6th generation.

Anyway, here is a link to the Optimate 6's feature set. OptiMate 6 : LED indicator lights - YouTube

/ De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics? #7  
I know this isn't supposed to be a thread about weather or not they work. I have seen hours of videos about tinkerers testing these things for weeks/months with inconclusive results. The videos claiming positive results always seem to be ones associated with the sale and marketing of these things.

You can't compare results to people not giving their batteries a second thought. My guess is, a trickle or maintenance charger would yield similar results.

I wish someone, just once would dissect two similar batteries, one having been desulphated, the other not.

/ De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics? #8  
Desulfication is the slight overcharge of the battery to try and remove material from the plates. This process is fine for most electronics. It's only a few tenths of a volt over normal charge (13.4-13.6v) and most "12v" systems work from about 10.5v - 14.5v ish.

Sleep well! No worries! If you still can't unhook the battery terminals- it will take about 2'.

/ De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics? #9  
What I've always wondered is if AGM batteries need desulfating. Or does it work with AGM batteries if you try. And then where's the proof of course.

/ De-Sulfating Chargers safe for Electronics? #10  
Same principle in AGM and same "science"'to back it up...
AGM uses the same type of plates...it's the material between the plates that is different-absorbed glass mats vs liquid.