Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange

/ Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange #1  

brainfog

Tractor
Kioti CK35 HST
The upper pin holding the backhoe swing boom (KB2375 for CK35 HST) came out without my knowing.

It appears that the frame of the swing boom is now bent - although the boom still swings very freely. Should I just leave it or attempt to pound it back into place?

DSCN8213.JPG

After the pin was lost, the cylinders held the load until they broke. Are they likely to be usable if I take them to a good welder? Replacement is very expensive.

DSCN8210.JPG

Somewhat related - I've lost many pivot pins on the back hoe and FEL. Is this the result of not enough greasing? I grease every 50 hrs of operation, but that could be 1-2 years, without shelter from rain.
TIA.

/ Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange #2  
Ouch...that hurts to look at.

Are those the pistons coming out of the swing cylinders that broke?

/ Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange #3  
I had mine welded after it broke right at the end of the rod where it meets the attachment knuckle, no problem. As for the pin loss, in the original set up, only one bolt held the swing pin in place. Hit a bad bump and the bolt breaks and pin drops straight out. I had the machine shop build new pins but these one have a "top hat" that is larger diameter than the hole. Lube channel drilled in to top hat and down to get grease where it is needed. Have not lost a pin since, even though I had them make a spare one).

/ Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange #4  
I have a Jinma Hoe for my Branson 3510.
I had one of the ends on a cylinder rip out.
I made a new end for it and welded it back together.
If the rod is still straight yours can be cleaned up and welded.
But make sure who ever welds it protects the rod from spatter. It will ruin the rod if it is not covered.
And don't let the rod get too hot because it will burn the chrome plating. It needs to be wrapped with a wet rag.
As for the bent parts, I personally would want them straightened so it doesn't cause more damage.

Attachments

• 000_0719.jpg
    000_0719.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 000_0722.jpg
    000_0722.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 194
   / Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange #5  
I personally would grease it a bit more often, especially with it being outside. Grease is your fiend when it comes to pins. A bit too often is better than a bit too little....

/ Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange #6  
Agreed, I normally grease BH pins every day before use, unless back-to-back days with less than a couple hours use. Those pins near the bucket practically live in the dirt. ("Normally" means "unless I forget".)

/ Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange #7  
I'd definitely recommend greasing before each use no more than it's getting used especially sitting outside. Sitting that long between uses it would be great to grease after use too to let the grease make a seal from the elements. Grease is cheap compared to replacing worn steel.

Welding! Yes, the eye can be welded successfully, but protect the shaft, go slow letting it cool between passes. That's probably not chrome plated but more likely TGP(turned ground polished), as most cylinder shafts are. TGP is a harder denser metal than mild steel and welds like crap typically. I personally don't like welding on it but I do because people need their things repaired. Get yourself a new pin and while your welder is letting the shaft cool he can add a hat on top of the pin with a flat washer or something scrap lying around. Should work just fine. Happy digging!

/ Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange #8  
I grease every 50 hrs of operation

My JD manual says to grease every 8 hours some places and every 10 hours others, or at least that is what my weak old brain remembers.

I grease every 10 hours on the meter, since the FEL and the BH really are not in use all of the hours the motor is running. I think you really need to up your greasing schedule.

/ Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange #9  
Greasing is good but the lack of grease has nothing to do with pin falling out. It is a straight pin (vertical) in an opened-bottom bore with just one cross-bolt at the bottom (5/16th", I think). WHEN that bolt breaks, (and it probably will if you use your backhoe on less than smooth ground), your BH can slide off the ear and damage the cylinders. Currently, I have my snowblower on so BH is under a tarp covered in snow, so no supporting pictures at this time.Bob

/ Kioti backhoe swing boom pin lost and resulting cylinder damange #10  
I grease every 10 hours of use and if its real dusty conditions a little sooner. Getting up close to every pin when greasing does help in many cases to catch a problem when its first starting rather than when it lets completely go! So as the others recommend grease more frequently and pay attention to make sure all pins are properly seated while doing so.