HST owners - Don't let this happen to you

/ HST owners - Don't let this happen to you #1  

snoracer

Tractor
John Deere 4300, Two John Deere 425's AWS, Allis Chalmers CA
This will be a rather lengthy post, so I'll break it into small chunks.
Let me start out by giving a great big thank you to dfkrug for all of his help and encouragement. Without it I never would have attempted this very major repair.
Here's what happened - my dad and I, have a small 40 acre farm/hunting property that is only 2 miles from our homes. I keep my JD 4300 at my house and trailer it up to the farm when I need it there. I just use it to mow the trails and harvest firewood. Since it is such a short distance from home to the farm, I had gotten into the habit of not tying the tractor down on the trailer when I towed it, and just relying on lowering the FEL and setting the parking brake to hold the tractor on the trailer. I had done this many times without any incidents. That is, until the last time I towed it. I had only gone about a 1/2 mile when the tractor slid off the back of the trailer. The FEL got hung up on the back of the trailer and the rear tires bounced 3 times on the pavement before the tractor came loose and then rolled down into the ditch (free wheeled, not roll over) and kept on going until it ran into a barbed wire fence and stopped. I went down to the tractor and attempted to drive it back up to the trailer, but it wouldn't move. All the hydraulics worked fine (FEL and rock shaft), but no forward or reverse. It acted as if the range selector was in neutral. Now comes the task of diagnosing and repairing the damage. I called the local tractor repair guy to see if he could tackle this. He told me that it would be at least a month before he could get it in. I asked him if I should start tearing the tractor down to save him some time and me some money (time is money). He said yes, so I began the process. That's when I found dfkrug's post on a complete rebuild of a JD 4300, and several other of his posts. After reading everything I could find, and e-mailing and speaking to Dave, I got the courage to keep on digging deeper into this project. Attached photo's are of the trailer damage. Next post I will begin the teardown/diagnosis. Stay tuned !!

Attachments

• IMG_1318.JPG
    IMG_1318.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 726
  • IMG_1317.JPG
    IMG_1317.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 394
   / HST owners - Don't let this happen to you #2  
Wow. This is gonna be good.

/ HST owners - Don't let this happen to you #3  
Maybe a broken rear axle from the moving truck and the tires hitting the ground and twisted the axle shaft off? Just a guess. But all you need is one broken axle for the tractor not to move.. Will it move in 4wd? with the front providing traction?

/ HST owners - Don't let this happen to you #4  
:eek::eek:

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 142
   / HST owners - Don't let this happen to you #5  
Sounds like you may have some extensive repairs to make. Hope it works out for you.
While that is an expensive lesson to learn at least no one was hurt.

One of our local contractors did not chain down a dozer he was moving for a short trip. It slid sideways off the trailer and decapitated a man in an oncoming car. Don't take short cuts it is just too dangerous.

/ HST owners - Don't let this happen to you #6  
Glad no one was hurt. Good luck on your repairs. Live and learn. :thumbsup:

/ HST owners - Don't let this happen to you #7  
Have you tried moving it in 4wd and with the differential locked? Have you tried moving it in all ranges? Have you checked the simple stuff like the lineage from the shifter?

/ HST owners - Don't let this happen to you #8  
Welcome to TBN. I hate seeing your first post be so tragic, but on the other hand it's wonderful nobody got hurt. I hope all turns out well.

I hope it's not to early to make the joke: Someone should link this to the "show people towing hauling wrong" thread!

/ HST owners - Don't let this happen to you #9  
That's one heck of intro to TBN.:eek:
Hope you don't have to dig to deep on repairs... $$$'s.

/ HST owners - Don't let this happen to you #10  
Boy that saved a lot of time ! Lesson learned the hard way ! Glad it didn't hit another car or person .