Engine oil pressure light

/ Engine oil pressure light #1  

budepps3760

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2810
Yesterday my engine oil pressure light came on. When checked it was a little low, around a quart. I added fluid but the light still came on. It only came on intermittently before I added the fluid and now afterwards. I immediately stopped the engine as I do not want to damage it. Any ideas as to what the cause might be and how to treat?

I changed the oil about 50 hours ago.

/ Engine oil pressure light #2  
I'd get a gauge, find a port and check it. My experience with idiot lights is that they go out on at a very low oil pressure and are not really a good measure for performance. But they are cheap and avoid the task of finding a place to put a gauge.

Or you could pull the sensor and connect it to a pressurized air source. I think they go out down around 20 psi.

Just brainstorming here. Never did what I mentioned but if I were where you are this is how I'd approach the problem for starters.

/ Engine oil pressure light #3  
Is this the Manhindra 2810? What's the total hours on tractor? Did you use a quality OEM oil filter? What is the weight of the oil you used? Has the tractor been started frequency in very cold weather? Some aftermarket filters have been known to fully or partly collaspe during very cold weather startups. Check also to be sure that the filter is not leaking around it's base. Cold weather has been known to cause this also. Is the tractor stored outside, or in a building or garage?

/ Engine oil pressure light
It is the 2810. I use Shell Rotella T and an OEM filter purchased from Bill's tractor supply.

I keep the tractor inside a shed out of the elements. During the winter I might start it up monthly but let it warm up 5 or so minutes before using.

The tractor has 550 hours on it. Purchased used with 425 hours on it. Put about 125 hours on it since I purchased in 2013.

I was wondering if maybe the filter was clogged somehow.

Last edited:
   / Engine oil pressure light #5  
Rotella 15w-40? I doubt the OEM filter was clogged. I agree with the above posters, get an oil pressure gauge onto that engine, and see if it's just the idiot light malfuction. If it does have low pressure you'll have to go from there as to what to do. Check oil pump, relief valve. I would do all that before pulling connecting rod caps, and seeing if they are OK. Another thing you could if you have to pull the lower oil pan off, is drain oil, insert finger, and see if there is a fine film of bearing material on bottom of pan. The pan should be absolutely clean with only a film of oil on it with that few hours, and the hopefully good care it received before you purchased the tractor. If there is a failure of any major components I would contact Mahindra Tractor and speak to a regional rep. Mahindra tractors are top machines.

Yes 15-40. It's been a great machine. Couldn't ask for more. I plan on babying it for sure

/ Engine oil pressure light #7  
Find where the tube connecting the gauge to the engine runs and trace it from the block all the way to the gauge. I once rebuilt an engine because the fitting on the back of the gauge had a tiny split and would weep oil when it was up to temperature. It lost just enough to show low oil pressure, but not enough to show an obvious leak anywhere.

If anything, it's a cheap thing to check.

/ Engine oil pressure light #8  
As others have said, get a mechanical gage so you can have a true reading.

I bought a dozer a few years back and while I thought everything check out good, one thing I missed was hot oil pressure. First time I ran the machine, once warmed up, I had 12lbs at full throttle. I was sick. Just for the heck of it, I put a quality mechanical gage on it. Wow, 37lbs hot idle, 64 lbs wide open. I was relieved to say the least.

I'm pretty sure the guy selling that dozer thought it was about to grenade.

I hate to appear like a dunce but could you educate me as to where I would need to tap into a "port" to check the oil pressure. I am up here looking at the engine however I do not understand what I am looking for.

/ Engine oil pressure light #10  
There will be a sending unit for the oil pressure mounted on the engine block.
The unit is basically a pressure switch that closes or opens with the right pressure.
The easiest thing is to remove the sending unit and put a "T" fitting between it and the block to connect a pressure gauge. (might be metric thread???)
Even if you don't want to install the gauge permanently at the dash you should mount it under the hood somewhere so you can check it anytime you want.
I bought a 3 year old 1989 Chevy PU for half price because it had no oil pressure.
A new sending unit saved me $5000.00 on the purchase!!