Another Predator Engine Swap

/ Another Predator Engine Swap #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
My in-laws gave us their log splitter. Its a tad over 30 years old, but still strong. They heated their house with wood for about 25 years and we've heated ours that way for the last 6 or so. It has a 5hp Briggs engine that still runs strong, but I have to add oil about every two tanks of gas and the plastic disc that holds the rope for the pull starter exploded, taking the metal shroud with it, and several of the fins on one side of the flywheel. I found replacement parts, but with shipping, they were north of $50. So, spend $50 on a 30 year old engine that uses oil, or replace with Harbor Freight Predator 6.5hp for $99.99? Off to Harbor Freight I went.

Got it out of the box and inspected. Looks nice. :laughing:

Removed the pump mount from the old engine (4 nuts).
Removed the old engine from the splitter 2 bolts (supposed to be 4, but 2 were missing!).
Compared the old and new engines... motor mount holes are exactly the same.
Compared the pump mount stud holes, exactly the same.
Compared the shaft, exactly the same diameter and length.

Set the new motor on the splitter, dropped in 4 new 1-1/2" 5/16th x 18 bolts, washers, lock washers and lock nuts.
Removed the shaft key for safe keeping.
Added 1/2 quart of 10w30.
Filled the gas tank.
Turned it on, turned on the fuel valve and choked it.
Started on the 2nd pull.
Ran for 3 hours at 1/2 throttle per the break-in instructions with no pump mounted.
Seemed to run fine. I varied the throttle several times over the course of the three hours.
The engine never really got hot. I could put my hand on the valve cover and it was just warm.

So, in the next few days I'll install the pump mount studs, the engine side of the lovejoy connector, mount the pump and give it a try.

/ Another Predator Engine Swap #2  
I used one and have to say it worked out great. Didn't put huge hours on it or anything but worked great and without any issues. For $99 I figured it was worth a shot and proved to be a good buy in my case.

/ Another Predator Engine Swap #3  
My son just put one on his 2 stage snowblower - so far so good - lots of youtube videos on it :cool:

/ Another Predator Engine Swap #4  
I've had good luck with mine on an old logsplitter also. If you look at it, the Chinese reversed engineered the Honda engines, as they are identical. The only problem I have had with mine is the splitter sits more than it is used and the carb jet got clogged up and stopped working. I think it's just the brass reacting to the gas as I treat all my gas with fuel treatment. Now I'll use the fuel shut-off and run it dry after use.

/ Another Predator Engine Swap #5  
I put a Predator on a grandsons' go kart a few years ago, bolted right up, started easily, ran great. He put a lot of hours on it over the next two years, never once had a problem with it. When the weather started cooling off, I'd make sure it had treated fuel in it, turn the gas line off and ran it dry, then unscrewed the drain plug on the carb bowl to drain it.
The following spring, I'd just open the gas valve, let it sit for five or ten minutes, throw the choke and it usually started on the second pull. He didn't drive it at all this year, but I'd still bet I can get it running on the second pull right now if I had the need.

/ Another Predator Engine Swap #6  
FWIW...

A neat thing about the "Predator" 212CC is most Honda performance parts fit them...

There are guys that are getting 18+ HP out of the 212CC blocks...other than the CA. emission models there are two basic 212CC engines...one has a hemi head...

By just changing the carb. jets and the muffler a typical 212CC Predator will put out about 8 HP.

/ Another Predator Engine Swap #7  
Another Predator 212cc in an old logsplitter here. We didn't have a HF nearby at the time, so I got mine online. $119 plus $7 shipping. Took 2 weeks to get here but it wasn't like it was a "gotta have it today" situation. Only issue I ran into was the output shaft on this was about 1/2" longer than the old B&S so I had to shim the hydraulic pump. It's smooth, relatively quiet and starts every time on the 2nd pull. I couldn't have gotten the old engine fixed for that price. Probably have run 15 cords thru it now, no problems.

The only problem I have had with mine is the splitter sits more than it is used and the carb jet got clogged up and stopped working. I think it's just the brass reacting to the gas as I treat all my gas with fuel treatment. Now I'll use the fuel shut-off and run it dry after use.

I've always done that with seasonal/occasional use small engines. Nice that it's got the shutoff.

/ Another Predator Engine Swap #8  
I've found on many small engine carb designs that just running it dry isn't enough to prevent goo. The small amount of fuel that remains is just enough, and is right at the main jet suction point that they clog anyway. But a total drain through the bowl drain screw DOES do the trick. I am grateful that HF includes a bowl drain screw on most of their engines/carbs.

/ Another Predator Engine Swap
I removed the old pump mount studs from the original Briggs today. They were just finger loose. Put em in the new engine, moved the lovejoy over as well. Measured the shaft to make sure. It is the exact same length from the engine face. Mounted the pump. Fired it up and the ram moved fine. Too cold to work outside today. Will split some wood as soon as its comfortable out again.

Have to say the transplant went without a hitch. Now just waiting to see if I got a defective organ or not. :)

/ Another Predator Engine Swap #10  
I replaced an ancient B&S on an ancient John Deere front tine rototiller with a Greyhound engine from Harbor Freight a year or two before they brought the Predator engines to the stores. No problems 6 or 7? years later, and it still starts fine.

I recommend changing the oil after a few more hours run time.