Hose sleeve

/ Hose sleeve #1  

orb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farmall H, Massey Harris Ferguson 50 w/300 loader, Kubota 3010
Anyone know a good source to buy inexpensive nylon hose sleeving? I want to put new protective covers on the hydaulic lines for my BH. The local hydraulic shop wants to charge over $2.00/ft for the stuff. I don't think it should be that expensive, but I could be wrong.

Thanks

orb

/ Hose sleeve #2  
I think it should be available through New Holland dealers. It came on my FEL hoses. I have no idea about cost though.
I have heard a lot of guys here that are getting old fire hose for free from the local fire house for protecting all sorts of things. They usually throw them away after some much time.

/ Hose sleeve #3  
I took some slightly over sized ID engine heater hose, split it, and attached it to the hydraulic hoses where ever they touched each other or where they rub the frame. Used a combination of electrical tape and zip ties. This was cheap and will prevent early wear thru.

/ Hose sleeve #4  
Go to
McMaster Carr and search for "Braided Polyester Mesh Sleeving" and I think you will probably find what you are looking for. Another option may be Grainger.

/ Hose sleeve #5  
Not to sound cheap here.. but I've been known to use 2" fire hose to cover hyd lines and other presurized lines. Not only for aprasion resistance.. but as a 'splash shield' in case of a catastrophic leak. Also covers the QD ends great.. can be held on with zip ties.

I've also found that a chain ran thru this doesn't swing back as much if you use a chain for towing, and it slips off.. etc.. the hose kinda drains off the inertia pretty quick. Also good to put over chain that is used to chain down your 'perty tractor without scratching the paint.

old firehose is usually cheap.. especially once it is unusable for the truck due to minor defects/damage... ( read: free.. from a firehouse.. specially if you take the guys a cooler of drinks or a few bucks worth of coffee/donuts one morning..

Soundguy