Bucket pins/bushing issue

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #1  

Fastball

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2900
Ok, this doesn't look right. I noticed that the bucket pins on Dad's LA480 loader look wrong.
One pin was just held in by the linch pin and the other looks like it's snapped off. And they look different sizes, to boot. As you can tell, I'm a total tractor newbie. I take it there's a bushing in the holes, and a pin is inserted into the bushing and pinned into place. So what the heck is this?

Attachments

• IMG_0135.JPG
    IMG_0135.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_0136.JPG
    IMG_0136.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_0138.JPG
    IMG_0138.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 860
   / Bucket pins/bushing issue #2  
One has too small of a pin in it.
The other, I would guess the pin rusted into the loader arm. That one will take a torch to get out.

Aaron Z

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue
Well, since my elderly father can't even remember the last time he had any servicing done (there's 1300 hours on his L2900) - I think I'm going to get the dealership to go over this thing. Change fluids, filters, hydraulics...and obviously, address this bucket issue - in general, everything. I might even go the whole enchilada and get the tires loaded, etc.

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #4  
Depending on your skills and available tools you may be able to make this a DIY project. These small tractor buckets do not have bushings. The pins fit into drilled holes in both pieces and pins the same size inserted. Clearance between pins and hole is fairly loose. That is why the OP manuals call for lubricating every 10 hours of use. Dirt, water, and lack of lube rapidly cause wear. Your look to be well worn. Having a tractor dealer fix them at $125/hr may get pretty expensive, may approach or exceed replacement cost.

First step is to pull, punch out all the pins, may require a lot of soaking and heat. Use a punch pretty close to the diameter of the pins or you could mushroom the pin and make removal harder. Clean up and inspect. Then post pictures (close up and determine the extent of wear. Then we can give better solutions/answers. It looks like 3/4" - 7/8" pins. A Magnet base drill can be rented to bore out the holes and then fashion new pins from cold rolled shaft stock or one of the various hitch pins available which are forged steel. For me this is a fun project but solution comes after seeing condition not speculation. I live right down the road. And another member that has a big shop lives close also. He is a welder though so that may not be the right solution. He has good practical ides though.

I took another look at the pictures; it looks like the pins are all smaller than the holes. Depending on how long it has operated that way it may not be all that bad. People do strange things when they are not very mechanically minded, out of ignorance of the issues.

Ron

"Exceed replacement cost"?
Of a new bucket, you mean? Give or take, how much is a new one...'cause this one needs a few welds, etc. Can you still get pin-type ones...or have they all gone to quick-attach models now?

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #6  
"Exceed replacement cost"?
Of a new bucket, you mean? Give or take, how much is a new one...'cause this one needs a few welds, etc. Can you still get pin-type ones...or have they all gone to quick-attach models now?

I have no idea what a new one costs. Again if welding is needed pictures are needed for analysis. Key is whether you can do your own work? If not, take to the dealer and get their recommendations as they would not listen to me anyway. I would venture if you bought the whole FEL or the bucket you could upgrade to Kubota's QH scheme. The Ls may be adaptable to the skid steer system also, check with a dealer or look on their web site. There are several after market manufacturers that have solutions also. Some advertise here on TBN such as Everything Attachments.

Ron

Pictures of the bucket split were attached on a recent post in the Welding forum, under "weld on a bucket".

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #8  
The two photos with the small size pin is a top link pin. Someone more than likely lost the original and replace with what they had laying around. The other pic is a bit hard to tell but I'm guessing the retainer came off and let the pin walk out. What the other side of that pin look like?

/ Bucket pins/bushing issue #9  
They do have bushings, they just aren't easily replaced. They are inserted in a hole in the loader arm or bucket and welded in place...you can see the weld bead in the photo. To do new, you have to grind off the weld flush with the base, get the old one out, and reverse to install.

Get the correct pins for it, and hopefully the small ones haven't damaged the bushing too much.

The two photos with the small size pin is a top link pin. Someone more than likely lost the original and replace with what they had laying around. The other pic is a bit hard to tell but I'm guessing the retainer came off and let the pin walk out. What the other side of that pin look like?

I can't imagine how a top link pin got in there. Dad hasn't got a clue, he says. But then again, my dad's memory is spotty and it sounds like one of his "git 'er done" quicky fixes. On the other side, it looks like the pin is the proper one...and it's just snapped off. The linch pin is still in. I have no idea how the bucket is hanging on. I'm scared spitless to use the **** thing now.

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 437